Honored Contributor

On-air Caller During Today's Sun Joe Presentation...

[ Edited ]

...with host Kerstin!!  A caller began benign enough, but then started a rather ugly phone conversation with Kerstin.  She went on and on about how she had her Sun Joe chainsaw for a very long time and it never worked for her, and she even gave it to her son to figure out, but it did not work for him either.  She made that obligatory statement of saying something like, "I don't want to be mean, but"... and of course you knew that's exactly why she called.  She was determined to put the host and vendor in a very uncomfortable and embarrassing situation on live TV. 

The vendor immediately realized the problem that the woman described sounded like she put the chain on upside down.  Plus, the woman never once said she called customer service about it -- years ago.  Say whatever you want about Kerstin, but she held her ground and remained professional with the woman.  I think she did an excellent job.

Honored Contributor

Re: On-air Caller During Today's Sun Joe Presentation...

Sounds like the caller was what some psychiatrists and therapists call a "right fighter."  She's right and she knows it.  If she'd really wanted a solution, she would have called CS ages ago.  Now she's angry with herself, I bet.

Glad Kirsten and the vendor stayed calm.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure any of the hosts would have been able to handle the situation.  It's part of their job.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I'm sure any of the hosts would have been able to handle the situation.  It's part of their job.

Handle it, yes I agree.  But I'm not at all sure all the hosts would have handled it the same way.  Some would have come across quite short & snippy, and on the other side of the spectrum, some would have sounded very whimpy in their apology.  My point was that I thought Kerstin found the right balance and handled it well, not just handled it and moved on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper don't know who you mean by "some" or if that is a presumption on your part, but I don't think I've ever seen a host handle this same situation in the manner which you describe as "short & snippy" or "wimpy in their apology."  At least that's been my experience.  Maybe you've witnessed it but I have not in the 20 plus years I've been watching.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue  In all due reverance to your 20+ years of watching, I myself have not been watching that long.  Perhaps all the hosts are equally adept at handling very difficult calls.  I do remember a Dell caller who was horrible to the host, and I thought the host, being understandably caught off guard, could have handled the call better.   No names, I 'd like to go back to the spirit I tried to convey of my original positive post just that, positive.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper  Did you hear the caller after the one you mentioned during that show? She said the other caller prompted her to call in. She went on to say how much she loved her Sun Joe, how well it worked, etc. it was really sweet of her to call in.  

Honored Contributor

Yes @itsmagic I heard that next caller too.  I agree, that was so sweet of her!

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper  This is a good thread.  It's nice to read a post that gives a compliment to a host instead of the constant  bad comments.

Trusted Contributor

Good for Kirsten it's so nice to know there are professional hosts on  QVC. She handled it well.  The person should have called customer service long time ago. One thing customer service always there to help you. So it's not QVC's fault it's the person that bought it and didn't do anything about it but sit around and complain that it doesn't work,then has the nerve to call up and try to make a fool out of the host and the vendor.