Respected Contributor

Older People That Have Aged Well?

Yesterday I called an older friend of mine. She has a son my age in midsixties. My friend is 87 and lives alone in her house. She  Jand said he is using a cane. He had a small stroke last year and fell last summer. She is in better shape than her son! I begin to think of older people I know and what has helped them age well. This woman volunteers two days at the Animal Shelter Thrift Shop, is Assisting minister in church, and knits up a storm to donate. Picks up a relative in Assisted Living to take to her appointments and buys her things from the store she needs.

My Aunt was the oldest surviving in her 90s and she ate healthy living alone, read the newspaper daily and finished the NYT Crossword. She had regular check ups unlike my Mother who only saw a Doctor if she had to. 

I just completed a Book about Queen Elizabeth," Long Live the Queen."  23 rules for living, by Bryan Kazlowski  It discusses her stamina, intelligence,  memory, humor and attitude etc. She was never really  formally college educated ,but so knowledgeable. 

So what did your friends or relatives do that had long fairly satisfying lives?  What do they do to help themselves? Granted good genes and good health helps.

Honored Contributor

Re: Older People That Have Aged Well?

I spoke to my husband's aunt yesterday.  She is 86 and drives 25 miles each way to help her son, grandchildren and DIL who had a double mastectomy in June.  She has always been very active and doesn't let anything get her down.  Attitude is very important, IMO, in aging well.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think its a prerequisite, but the people that I have known who have lived up into their 90's and had pretty good health, had to work very hard in their younger years. One lady picked cotton for several years. I don't know what else she did for a living, but she always planted a huge garden and canned. She had to, she had a lot of kids and her husband was an severe alcoholic. She planted a garden until she was just unable to due to age. 

I can think of six people who lived into their 90's that I have known pretty well and hard work is what they all had in common.

The other thing is, the were happy people. They had good attitudes, even in some really bad times. The didn't get mad and stay mad, they just rolled the best they could with whatever storm was coming at them. 

Another thing, these 6 people didn't have a whole lot, but they were happy to share whatever they did have with anyone who needed it. Sometimes I'd take things to one of them, it could be just any little gift, and she would get so excited, like a child. Maybe thats part of that keeps people young, having a young heart that still gets excited and happy over the little things. 

Honored Contributor

Good genes & strong immune systems.

Paternal:  All of my living relatives are in their 80's some approaching mid 90's.  All still living in their own homes.

All smoke, drink & party.  Rarely sick if ever.  No cancer, heart attacks, dementia, Uncle Alzheimer's, etc. 

This year my oldest cousin died at the young age of 106 in the house she got married in.  She kept hogs & tended her garden till the day she died.

My father died naturally at age 91.  He suffered from gout.

Maternal:  My 96 yr young mother is the only one left of siblings.  Still healthy.  She retired her world travelling this year.  Her finale romp:  Took all of her grandchildren island hopping for 1 1/2 months (Sept-Oct).

The last time my mother was sick was when she got the Hong Kong Flu in the 60's. 

Never set foot in a hospital after having babies.

2 yrs ago went to the E/R cause she broke her foot.  She ONLY went cause I took her.

My mother's siblings all died in their 80's of natural causes.  As far as she knows, she's the longest living.

Yes, my mother drinks, smokes only when drinking & still partying her butt off.

Her 2 nieces (my cousins) healthy & rarely sick if ever.  Both drink only socially.  Never smoked.

Me & siblings healthy.  One sibling died of M.S.  The ONLY disease that showed up on either side of the families.

We all eat anything we want!  From the root to the rooter. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

In-laws had a 97 year old, 2 pac a day, who was on her 7th marriage when she passed.  We all just agreed she was too mean to die.

On my side we had a 86 year old just drop dead suddenly while shaving one morning.  Evidently sleeping nude ages you well 😂

Contributor

Way off topic but if you have any interest in Queen Elizabeth you must watch the Netflix series The Crown.  My wife and I started on a lark and now we can't stop.  What an amazing story and the things you learn about their history is fascinating. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL and mom are a year  apart in age, 87/86.  My mother has been on her own since age 14 and has worked hard her whole life, she lives alone, push mows her acre lot, cleans her house and wash windows weekly. She volunteers at church and at a nursing home, she is/has aged very well.  She also smokes some and has a very positive outlook on life.  My MIL has always had a desk job, a house cleaner, and yard guy.  She retired at 65 and lost interest in people and socializing, she has also taken Aleve PM every night for several years because her GP said it was ok.  She has severe pain and dementia, she is also a very negative person.  The diphenhydramine in the Aleve PM has cause the dementia and there is no cure.  I look at the two and try to be more like my mom.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

In-laws had a 97 year old, 2 pac a day, who was on her 7th marriage when she passed.  We all just agreed she was too mean to die.

On my side we had a 86 year old just drop dead suddenly while shaving one morning.  Evidently sleeping nude ages you well 😂

@Still Raining    BWAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband's Grandma lived to 99 with full faculties,lots of friends and active at church. She was always interested in YOU.  "How are YOU, how is YOUR job, what are YOUR interests". She remembered all the little details about YOU.  She never dwelt on herself and her aches and illnesses as do some elderly.I think that's one reason she lived a long healthy life.   She always said she didn't want to live to be 100 and she died a month before her 100th birthday.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I think good genes are the most important.  Then, I think it's attitude.  If you are happy and don't let things get you down, or at least for long, and you are interested in people and life, that really helps.  I think having a lot of stress in a person's life, day in and day out is very aging to a person's body and mind.  Being active, as much as you can definitely is another important thing.  I've known people who have aged wonderfully who have had terrible eating habits, who drink, smoke, etc., and I have known people who exercise faithfully, watch their diets studiously and don't drike or smoke, and they have not aged well at all.  So, my conclusion is --- genes and attitude -- and then after that ---- who knows why some people live long and well, and some don't!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin