Respected Contributor

Re: Older People That Have Aged Well?

I did not mean to start a thread here. It should have been in "Friends". Sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

Good genes.  Heredity.  My father's ancestors lived long, active lives.  My dad is 100 and drove his car to various social functions until last March (an illness brought a sudden stop to his lifestyle).  His father was active until 96, and my dad's sister is 98 and still going strong.  Same for Dad's grandfather and uncles.  All looked and acted much younger than they were.   

My mom's side of the family is a different story.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

My mom is 95 and healthy !!   100% Italian and born in Italy...Great food and great wine (daily) her secret !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My great aunt had a long life.....she passed away at the age of 86.....And her life didnt start out very easy....she married young, at 20, and her husband was abusive, she divorced him and devoted herself to her nieces/nephews, worked very hard in a factory, was very caring and was always helping others, also volunteered at her church.....she lived in a small town, loved to read, and loved to walk. I think the walking kept her in good health....She always ate well balanced meals. She enjoyed traveling with a group of her friends.  She overcame the trials and tribulations of her early years, she dusted herself off and decided to enjoy each day of her life!

My family on my mom's side inherited bad genes....most didnt make it to 65.......Woman Sad  Thankfully me and my siblings seem to take after my dad's side of the family....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had a friend for many years who has always been a smoker and a heavy drinker and he looks as young now as he did then.  Stays up late, pretty much just eats meat and unhealthy foods (one meal a day), doesn't get enough sleep etc.  Guess he has good genes.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Valued Contributor

My mother was 88 when she passed. The last year of her life was downhill as she had suffered several strokes. She was well cared for by my sisters and myself.  My fraternal grandmother lived to 82 and was spry to the end; have had several uncles who lived into their mid to late 80's.  Unfortunately my dad was only 62 when he passed, my brother 60 and my DH 64.  

I'm hoping for another 20, I'm 68 right now and in relatively good health.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

My FIL died at 102!  Decided to take a quick nap and died in his sleep.  Cause of death -- old age!

He never had any illnesses but would take 1 aspirin/day just in case🤷‍♀️

My spouse and his brother certainly didn't get those genes😉