Contributor

Re: Ok, I can't take it anymore.

@Ronettes “someone commented that I 'could easily be found on the internet' if that host wanted to.”

Are you KIDDING ME? Like the host is going to come after you? Someone needs to step away from the forum for a bit! And probably the TV. Sheesh!
Honored Contributor

I went down the shore over the weekend to a craft show in Cape May.  The show was just okay but we had so much fun and it was such a picture perfect day!  Beautiful weather for early November and though we didn't go on the beach (too busy shopping & eating) we did see the water and it looked like it was sparkling!

Since I'm originally from NY but moved to south Jersey when I was twelve I say, "Going down the shore" half the time and the other half it's, "To the beach". Smiley Happy

Contributor

@haddon Since I'm originally from NY but moved to south Jersey when I was twelve I say, "Going down the shore" half the time and the other half it's, "To the beach".
————
I love regional differences like these! Where I live, you might say, “Let’s go beach!” It’s normal to sprinkle the local pidgin throughout one’s usual spoken English, with the emphasis on brevity.
Language evolution is so interesting, and I love hearing about all the regional differences within one country and language. Sorry to go on and on!
Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I went down the shore over the weekend to a craft show in Cape May.  The show was just okay but we had so much fun and it was such a picture perfect day!  Beautiful weather for early November and though we didn't go on the beach (too busy shopping & eating) we did see the water and it looked like it was sparkling!

Since I'm originally from NY but moved to south Jersey when I was twelve I say, "Going down the shore" half the time and the other half it's, "To the beach". Smiley Happy

I'm a born and raised New Yorker who is currently residing in another state.  Before I got married and moved to Long Island, we used to say, 'We're going out the Island.'  Everyone knew what we meant because they said the same thing.  How I miss New York.   

Respected Contributor

I'm in Manhattan. 

We say "I'm going out east."

Everyone knows what that means.

Respected Contributor

The worst for me is when they leave the Ts out of button.

Buh on.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrumPounder wrote:
@Ronettes“someone commented that I 'could easily be found on the internet' if that host wanted to.”

Are you KIDDING ME? Like the host is going to come after you? Someone needs to step away from the forum for a bit! And probably the TV. Sheesh!

Yes, and I have read the comments of others saying the same thing.

I was stunned, LOL!

You're right, some take it too seriously and over the top.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9  @DrumPounder 

I'm so glad you guys understand 'Down The Shore'!

We've been saying that since we were all kids!

Honored Contributor

@DrumPounder wrote:
@haddon Since I'm originally from NY but moved to south Jersey when I was twelve I say, "Going down the shore" half the time and the other half it's, "To the beach".
————
I love regional differences like these! Where I live, you might say, “Let’s go beach!” It’s normal to sprinkle the local pidgin throughout one’s usual spoken English, with the emphasis on brevity.
Language evolution is so interesting, and I love hearing about all the regional differences within one country and language. Sorry to go on and on!

@DrumPounder I agree and find it interesting as well.  I also like hearing the different dialects throughout the country and even regions not too far from one another.  I have come across videos on YouTube that discuss this.

What part of the country are you from?

Contributor

@haddon9 What part of the country are you from?
———
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, but I’ve been in Hawaii for … gawd, three decades now. Doesn’t seem like that long!