Honored Contributor

There is a difference between changes in language and being ignorant and happy with it.  But then being ignorant doesn't make you a less than person, it just means you don't know a lot of things that come from school.  

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I don't particularly care about these specific "errors," but I am concerned about the gradual deterioration of the English language in general.  I am a compulsive "proof reader" while listening to TV.  What bugs me most is subject-object agreement.  "They sent that letter to both Sam and I."  It's Sam and me.  Take out the named person, "they sent that letter to me": not "they sent that letter to I. Too picky?  All I can say is a couple English teachers in heaven are smiling down on me.  Eventually we will all be communicating and spelling at a first grade level.

@depglass  Oh my gosh, you took the words right out of my mouth!  I had an old spinster for an English teacher and she was a stickler.  Thanks to her, I learned a lot and now I cringe at how the English language has been butchered!!  And spelling, too!  I do the same thing at the TV! Smiley Happy

I was an English teacher.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Who cares?

I know, right??! Why is there constant comments about correcting what a host says or how they pronounce something? Good grief! 

Honored Contributor

I don't lose sleep over the host's  mistakes, however in their place I would be embarrassed to learn that I was mispronouncing a word on national television. It would be a kindness if someone would gently point out the problem so they could correct it. It's never too late to learn and improve . YouTube has videos on how to pronounce many words, it is no shame not to know how, but it is ignorant to not try and improve. JMO

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

I agree.That also irritates me....or should I say I .I hear intelligent people say I and I cringe. I realize this is very petty -there are other things in this world to consider. I am retired and have extra time to consider these petty things.

Please forgive me to all the people who are offended.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I don't particularly care about these specific "errors," but I am concerned about the gradual deterioration of the English language in general.  I am a compulsive "proof reader" while listening to TV.  What bugs me most is subject-object agreement.  "They sent that letter to both Sam and I."  It's Sam and me.  Take out the named person, "they sent that letter to me": not "they sent that letter to I. Too picky?  All I can say is a couple English teachers in heaven are smiling down on me.  Eventually we will all be communicating and spelling at a first grade level.

@depglass 

pretty soon people will be using only emojis and "netspeak" to communicate......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The English language has been deteriorating for a long time. We want to simplify everything i.e. DD, DDS etc. Who knows what half these terms reference!! It is sad we have lost all communication skills. Sometimes, I think the aliens have entered our universe and are taking over!!🤔

Honored Contributor

Then when the hosts talk about gemstones---

chal·ced·o·ny-- is the stumbling block....
/kalˈsednēe
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I hear the shopping channel hosting jobs are very competitive.  Therefore, I would think being able to pronounce common words properly, would be a part of the job requirements. 

There are going  to be words that are new to the hosts.  Don't they have prep time prior to their shows, where this is covered? 

Honored Contributor

Re: “Ochre”

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

I hear the shopping channel hosting jobs are very competitive.  Therefore, I would think being able to pronounce common words properly, would be a part of the job requirements. 

There are going  to be words that are new to the hosts.  Don't they have prep time prior to their shows, where this is covered? 

@september 

David and Leah talk about phone calls they conduct to meet with vendors to talk about the products they will be presenting in the show....and they also have a production meeting....and then Leah says they also have "office time" to read emails and such.....

Now these hosts are always well prepared and I dont know if the others follow that same routine, but they should, because unpreparedness stands out like a sore thumb!