Honored Contributor

Re: Obviously, Just my opinion, but QVC is inconsiderate!

@comedy clubber wrote:

Why in the name of G od did QVC think it was a good idea to show a $200.00 special value when 70% of our nation is currently out of work??????  If they are committed to the Jai jewelry line, they could/should have postponed the TSV until we are back to work.  I personally do not care for the line, but I know many like it, so why not just move it forward and not have had it now???  In my opinion, it once again, shows that they are unaware of the world around them and could not care less about their supposed  customers.

@comedy clubber- Perhaps you should click on the banner at the top of the page that states QVC's response to the COVID-19 outbreak.  If you took the time to read it, you'd see that they're very well aware of the current situation in our country and trying their best to support customers and vendors (who rely on QVC sales to support their businesses and employees).

Even extending the return policy to 90 days is a generous offer to ensure people don't have to worry right now about returning anything.

Selling a bracelet that was undoubtedly in the works for a long time is not a sign of disregard for their customers and I doubt you have any idea of the logistics of rearranging something like that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

There are always and have been other expensive (to me) items shown as well. It's up to the individual to only purchase what they could afford. 

Exactly!

QVC is a business, and they have every right to continue to conduct business.  They are keeping people employed, for one thing.  And if customers buy what they sell, that stimulates the economy.  That's very much needed right now.  

No one is forcing anyone to buy something they don't want or something they can't afford.  QVC is not inconsiderate!  They're doing their best to carry on with planned programming under terrible circumstances.

I guess the OP would just like them to sell dollar store items now.  Even if the unemployment rate actually was 70%, that would be ridiculous.  QVC is a form of entertainment for a lot of people, not just about buying.  Educated consumers know they can't afford everything they see, but it still can be fun to see beautiful, expensive things.  For some, it's a really good diversion now.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people may be out of work, but a lot of people are still working. And some of us, find it theraputic to shop, whether thats right or wrong.

At the moment I am not going into stores if I can help it. I am not buying a lot off of QVC either, but if they had a bracelet I just loved I would get it. I can afford it, and honestly, if it would make a woman feel better to look down at her wrist and see something beautiful, who are we to judge?

We are living in some pretty trying times right now. 

Dang, if we are gonna be cooped up like a bunch of chickens, we might as well have something pretty to look at. 

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@MandyG06 wrote:

@manny2 

The United States Department of Labor, US Bureau of Labor Statistics is a reliable source for unemployment rates. Yes, the month of March will show an increase, as those numbers have not been released because the month March isn't over yet. Yes, it's going to be ugly and hurt a lot of people, friends and family alike. What isn't accepetable is sharing information as if it was fact, which causes people to have anxiety and is routinely called fear-mongering. People react to information, true and untrue info, and as smart, educated people that we are, we need to fact check before sharing data.

@MandyG06 I agree with you, being factual is important, however this is a discussion board, and I would hope posters would fact check any issue that is of great importance rather then relying on a discussion forum.

If anyone has the actual numbers, and facts I would expect them to just post, and leave it at that.There is no reason to bully on this board.

I haven't seen any bullying.  I see an OP who threw around an outrageous unemployment number and then got all bristly when posters questioned that number and disagreed with her opinion about QVC. 

She's entitled to her opinion, but so is everyone else. If she felt that a lot of people disagreed with her, that's because a lot of us did!  That's not bullying.

Frequent Contributor

Agree QVC is inconsiderate, but again they are not in the business of consideration, their in the business of making money, and lots of it, come hell or corona virus.

Trusted Contributor

Help me: How is QVC inconsiderate?  They're a retailer. I don't ever recall, their pretending to be a non-profit. 

Of course they ears want to make a profit.  If they don't make money, the business fails, and in QVC's case, thousands of people are unemployed.  

There are many, many people, who can easily afford that bracelet, tough times or not.  There are retailers, selling far more expensive items. 

What would you suggest home shopping channels, sell, at this time? 

Esteemed Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Help me: How is QVC inconsiderate?  They're a retailer. I don't ever recall, their pretending to be a non-profit. 

Of course they ears want to make a profit.  If they don't make money, the business fails, and in QVC's case, thousands of people are unemployed.  

There are many, many people, who can easily afford that bracelet, tough times or not.  There are retailers, selling far more expensive items. 

Toilet paper! 

And have it on 5 easy-pays!

Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Regular Contributor

Not trying to be rude but what would you think is appropriate and an appropriate price-point? No matter how many folks are out of work there are always some who can afford or think they can afford a $200 bracelet. And there are some who can never afford a $20 bracelet, no matter what the economy. Some people like to get away from unpleasantness by window shopping in a sense. Maybe they just enjoy seeing the pretty jewelry. At what point do you think they should just go off the air if the unemployment rate is too high?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SuhseK wrote:

Yes, and we should be hoping that businesses (both large and small) don't suffer. All they're doing is managing as best they can in uncertain times - the same as every other business.  Those that can manage to stay afloat want to do that.  And we need them to do that.  Otherwise, the economy will end up in even worse shape.

I'd be interested to know what dollar amount (and what items) would be acceptable to the OP.  Let's face it - A lot of what QVC sells are not exactly necessities.  If we were to follow the OP's line of reasoning, then no business should be selling anything other than absolute essentials priced as low as possible.  The result would be companies failing, the unemployment rate rising, and our economy being completely destroyed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I notice on TV every other commercial is for buying a new car... Seems like it would be a waste of money to try to  sell new cars to people out of work.... must be some kind of psychological reason for it.   

@SeaMaiden 

I have noticed a lot of car commercials as well. I have heard different one's where  you can postpone the payments from between three to six months, and wait for it.....they will deliver the vehicle to you.  

I am on year 7 of my car and plan on keeping it for 10 years. I am blessed to still have my job and to be able to work from home. However, if I had been in the market for a new automobile now would not be the time to purchase.