Honored Contributor

Re: Not pleased with the new automatic video when you first view product

I really dislike this.  When I'm browsing online, I want to look at photos of the item first. If I'm interested, I might then watch the video. 

Please change it back to the way it was!  

Trusted Contributor

I don't like it either, but I don't think they care.  

Valued Contributor

You can click on any of the colors that the item comes in and it will just show the item.

Honored Contributor

@harcon wrote:

When the video starts to come up you can check the box under the vid to stop it playing.  Takes a second.

Yes! It is not automatic if you don't want it to be. Really annoying idea though. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've unchecked the box that says to play the video automatically and it still comes up as the default.  I  click on one of the pictures to get rid of the video, but there is no reason the video should be the default unless you want to make it the default.  It's very annoying.

BTW, I've made this an issue in Suggestion Box.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, even though I've unchecked the video box, the video still loads and pauses itself, for every single item I view.  Isn't this "loading" using much more data than a still image alone would?  I'd really like to know if someone can tell us.

Aside from that, it is very annoying, and I think it should be changed.  I was trying to browse through 20-30 CIJ sale items today, and this kept happening.  I was ready to scream.  

Valued Contributor

"For me, even though I've unchecked the video box, the video still loads and pauses itself, for every single item I view.  Isn't this "loading" using much more data than a still image alone would?  I'd really like to know if someone can tell us."

Yes, it is using up more memory and RAM to load the video as opposed to just the image(s). When you click on an item on the Q your computer is loading the images on the page PLUS the video stream all at the same time. Consequently it takes the page longer to load.

I think it should be changed as well. It's taking far too long to shop online because of this. It's not enjoyable anymore and I will be shopping less as a result.

Esteemed Contributor

@sugar plum wrote:

"For me, even though I've unchecked the video box, the video still loads and pauses itself, for every single item I view.  Isn't this "loading" using much more data than a still image alone would?  I'd really like to know if someone can tell us."

Yes, it is using up more memory and RAM to load the video as opposed to just the image(s). When you click on an item on the Q your computer is loading the images on the page PLUS the video stream all at the same time. Consequently it takes the page longer to load.

I think it should be changed as well. It's taking far too long to shop online because of this. It's not enjoyable anymore and I will be shopping less as a result.

@sugar plum, I didn't even think of the RAM, etc. having to work harder, but yes, that's another very good reason it needs to stop.  For some reason, I was only thinking of the data usage for those of us who don't have unlimited data plans on either our cable internet or mobile plans.  

I've been good lately about not griping to QVC about all the little things wrong with their website, but this in particular is very annoying to me, and makes me not want to browse on the shopping side.  I sincerely hope that they will change it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC uses the Adobe Flash Player to play videos on a windows computer using Internet Explorer.

How to block and disable the Adobe Flash Player in IE11:

Launch IE11 then click on Tools, scroll down to Manage Add-ons, highlight Toolbars and Extensions, then scroll down to Show:

If the Adobe Shockwave Flash Object does not show in the Currently loaded add-ons, open the drop down menu and click on All add-ons, where it says

Adobe Systems Incorporated

Shockwave Flash Object

You can change the status from Enabled to Disabled by clicking on the Shockwave Flash Object line and then Disabling it, then click close. To enable the Adobe Flash Player, you would do the same thing but Enable it rather than disabling it.

You can also go to the Tools drop down menu and check and uncheck the AcitveX Filtering. With the check mark on, some of the javascripting is disabled so some videos won’t play on some sites but it won't disable all videos so you need to see if this will work on the QVC site or not.

For security reasons with Adobe Flash Player, I have this disabled it in IE11 and only watch videos on my ipad2 or ipad mini using the Safari browser or I watch the QVC videos via the QVC app on both ipads.

Esteemed Contributor

@TY, Thanks for the reminder.  I've also just now disabled shockwave flash in Firefox browser.  I had it disabled in both IE and Firefox for the longest time, but lately I've had them both enabled again and can't remember why.  There must have been something I needed to view regularly and couldn't.  In fact, I can remember in the past, adding QVC.com to a list of websites NOT to block, so that I could see the videos, but that would never do at this point, with the videos loading as default. 

O/T Do you happen to know why I can't see or read any product reviews when using Firefox?  It's updated.  When on the product page, they are nowhere to be seen.  That is the only reason why I sometimes switch over to IE, to read QVC reviews.  The other computer that I seldom use has Chrome and IE to choose from, so that's a whole different story for another day. 

(HP laptop, Windows 7)