Honored Contributor

Re: Not Necessary for Host To Apologize

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Considerate would be staying home when you're ill, be it cold, flu or Covid.  I think many have adopted that concept over the past two years. 

One host is perfectly capable of performing the required duties for the entire program. 

I don't know how QVC handles when their employees call in sick, but for many people it does not go over very well.

I worked for a health insurance company and if you called in sick, you more than likely would not be getting a raise or promotion and you'd get a bad review.

It was not unusual to see and hear sick people at work.  I have had coworkers who were  so sick that they were vomiting into their trash cans at their desks or coughing and spreading whatever illness they had.

Many people came to work sick, then went go see the company's nurse who told them to go home, which they did.  They would not  be " punished" if the nurse sent them home.

I once came to work sick ( vertigo) and the nurse sent me home.  I was too sick and dizzy to drive, so I slept in the back seat of my minivan for a few hours. I was lucky that only happened to me once.

I hope the Q doesn't operate like this, but who really knows?

Honored Contributor

I heard some people say their symptoms from Omicron were the same as a cold.  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Considerate would be staying home when you're ill, be it cold, flu or Covid.  I think many have adopted that concept over the past two years. 

One host is perfectly capable of performing the required duties for the entire program. 

People who suffer from allergies have these issues which mimic cold and flu (and to some extent Covid)

They are not really sick OR contagious and do not need to stay home.

It is possible for this to be the reason.

If I took off every time my allegeries were acting up, I'd never be at work.

I don't find the host's reassurance statement to be silly at all.

Some ppl get crazed about Covid.

Honored Contributor

I have said the same thing myself but not as an apology.

When I'm out in public having a sneezing & coughing fit, I just say allergies, implying not covid.

I have wicked sinus allergies all year round.

I don't want anyone to think I am out & about while contagious with anything.

Super Contributor

I thought that was the most polite thing to do, she even thanked Leah for stepping in for her. The way the weather has been on the East Coast in the last few weeks it is amazing that  over half of them are not sick. I was raised in a way that you do apologize for a certain change in your voice and when you have step aside for to cough. Amy always ask her producer to go to the presenter when she has to cough or to get water. They are constantly talking for hours at a time I commend them for that.

Honored Contributor

@shoechic wrote:

Well sure enough, if the host hadn't said "it's not covid", someone would have started a thread asking if the host has covid. Sometimes you just can't win.

I guess I lost Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What do you mean neither has one thing to do with the other? Of course it does.  One of the symptoms of the Omicron variant is congestion.  The symptoms are the same as cold symptoms.  

Nothing wrong with her saying it's not Covid because I can guarantee that is the first thought that will go through the mind of many.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What do you mean neither has one thing to do with the other? Of course it does.  One of the symptoms of the Omicron variant is congestion.  The symptoms are the same as cold symptoms.  

Nothing wrong with her saying it's not Covid because I can guarantee that is the first thought that will go through the mind of many.

@Lipstickdiva TOTALLY AGREE!!!  

Contributor

Nobody needs to apologize or explain to anyone why they cough/sneeze. It’s absurd to think they do.
Do you honestly think they would admit they had Covid if they started coughing/sneezing around you?