Honored Contributor

Re: Not Exactly Professional

People keep saying it's a sales gimmick and I really doubt that's what's going on. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

If I don't care for something, WHY would I care if a host wants to order one for herself? It's ridiculous. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

I don't know why people still fall for this and continue to comment about it Many year's ago, a certain host spilled the beans, but I will not reveal who it was. It simply doesn't matter.

Anyway, you know they meet with each vendor for an hour before each show goes on air, so all of that "meet and greet" on air conversation is just pretense for our benefit. Usually, each host always writes and phones each vendor to set up the on air interviews, often coordination wardrobe colors or choices , and what specific products will be shown according to the show's title or day's theme's. Particularly in jewelry shows.

Anyway, the day before each show the Q cards are pulled for each host so they can go over and update the current information on each card that they hold as they sell and review each item...you know, the blue cards. Haven't you ever heard them state something they said they wrote on a card before ??

Anyway, the day before and the day of the show they come in and physically sit and review the products lined up in the backstage area that they are going to display and sell on air. This is when they either select what they are going to wear, or put in their jewelry tray beside them or whatever, and give a list to the control room and floor manager, also customer service gets a copy on screen.

By the time they go on air, all is reviewed and rehearsed very well for a couple of days.

Not much, if anything, is "off the cuff" except the calls from customer's on air live.

Back to the OP's comment about Jayne and other hosts yelling out to order them something while on air. That is simply a ploy when the numbers aren't clicking away to pick up the phone calls and on-line sales. If the host you are watching looks desirous of the product, and seems desperate to purchase it before her's runs out, then it prompts you to make a rash decision to jump on it rather than wait and ponder buying it, and they make quota and bank! You do realize that the days prior to these items showing they have all of the opportunity necessary to purchase their size, color and all they desire in the line up. It's one of their privileges as hosts. Don't believe it for a minute when they say this is their first opportunity to order it and they want theirs before it sells out in their size! It's an old selling technique ! They are told in their IFB when the numbers are slacking and that's when they put on their pressure ! Don't let it sway you into buying a product if you aren't sure of it on your own decision.

This is TV retailing at it's finest !! Remember, always, it's a numbers game.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

I buy what I like and not because the host loves it. Sales ploys don't send me to the computer to order. I do remember when hosts said they couldn't order until after a show aired, guess that's changed along with a lot of other things in the Q's on air shows.

Honored Contributor

Renee, Your description is what should happen, but it's obvious some hosts get lazy and do no prep at all. Hosts like Jill are very thorough and professional. Then there are those like Kirsten who recently couldn't figure out how to work a simple, ordinary box clasp with safety on a tennis bracelet. I doubt she ever touched or seen one before. They had to go to a still shot while someone showed her how to open it. If I hadn't been so disgusted, I would have been amused.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

There has been such a spate of this paritcular gross sales gimmick lately. Within this past week I heard the petite host with the short black hair holler over "order that for me in a 34C" (implying, 'before it sells out') Oh brother! They must have been told to do that in the last host training meeting.

Just wait until you start hearing the same words and phrases for the current period. Hmmm what will they be? Remember "stinkin' cute?" - Bird

Honored Contributor

I don't know the hosts procedures ""in detail no less"" and I do think it is unprofessional for them to order while on air.
Honored Contributor

On 10/4/2014 kachina624 said: No, he surely doesn't know his products. Someone buys them in China, has his label sewn in and he sees it the first time when it's presented.
Exactly. I have noticed many times his remarks reflect that he is seeing a product for the first time.
Super Contributor

Go ahead...buy em all..........and Lisa can do the same.

Respected Contributor

On 10/5/2014 lucymo said:

I buy what I like and not because the host loves it. Sales ploys don't send me to the computer to order. I do remember when hosts said they couldn't order until after a show aired, guess that's changed along with a lot of other things in the Q's on air shows.

Same here, on both points.

Honored Contributor

It's a very off-putting sales ploy at that. Just turns me off from buying altogether, since it shows that the item is possibly not as hot a sale as they thought.