Honored Contributor

Re: Nostalgia for Hosts of Christmas Past...

[ Edited ]

Not a host and I miss her regularly, but I do miss Joan Rivers most at this time of year... It doesn't go back that far, but she and Dennis Basso were a hoot doing their shows together. She and Lisa were always fun as well. So sorry I never saw her with Kathy Levine, as I can only imagine what the fun that might have been.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nostalgia for Hosts of Christmas Past

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

You reminded me of taking a bus to St. Louis from my tiny little Illiniois home town to shop at Stix, Baer & Fuller (later became Dillards).

We would go on Saturdays after getting all dressed up.  The highlight was having lunch at a place called "Pope's Cafeteria" in downtown.  It was a large lunch room and very nice.

Also, buying Hanes Stockings one pair at a time.  The sales lady would take the larger box from the shelf, remove one luxurious pair, and put those in a smaller box with tissue paper.    My favorite color was Barely There or black. 

It was a really grown up thing to do...like you said, being exposed to a more gracious way of life than we were used to. 

I adored those trips!  My mother felt comfortable enough to let my sis and I take the bus alone and shop in the afternoon (can you imagine?).

At Christmas, all the windows would have elaborate decorations with moving features.  

What a wonderful memories those are.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

All of the former hosts have social media pages, just google them.

I don't 'miss' any of them, they were just salespeople to me.

But I don't watch QVC, I just buy online and only see the hosts on videos of items I'm interested in, so I don't feel any connection to them.

During the holidays, I tend to reminisce about family members I've lost instead.

I guess I don't watch enough or something because I've never been attached to any of the hosts. Several times people on here have mentioned a host and I don't know who they're talking about. 

Trusted Contributor

Nothing is the same anymore.  No big department stores to shop and browse in, mostly online shopping.  Nothing is POSH about QVC and all their merchandise made in China.  Liked Joan Rivers when she sold mostly jewelry.  I bought some very nice pieces from her and still wear them.  Ah, good memories!

Respected Contributor

I miss Lisa Robertson's Posh Christmas Show.

Esteemed Contributor

As long as we're reminiscing... I really miss Joan Rivers.  Not just at Christmas, but all year long.  You never knew what she was going to say, but it was usually hoot-worthy.

I remember when clothes shopping was an event.  We'd plan for it days ahead of time.  We'd dress up for it.   Now, if we need something, we sit at our computer and click and ship.  We browse websites instead of dress shops.  QVC has changed with the times.  It's all click and ship, and no longer an event to watch.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Kathy Levine always closed out Christmas Eve by hosting t...

@stevieb wrote:

Speaking of nostalgia, I wonder if QVC is doing Posh (posh, posh, posh, posh, posh, posh...) presents this year... And, if they are, will they foist Jane (posh, posh, posh, posh, posh, posh) out there again to wow us all with the not remotely posh merchandise? Frankly, the presents were almost never posh, but the show itself stopped being posh when they moved Lisa out of the park in NYC and they started doing a fake party at Studio Park... Sorry, but nothing remotely posh (posh, posh, posh... oh, you get it...) about that...

@stevieb   Jane Treacy mentioned on air that QVC won't be doing a Posh show this year.  They are staying with the comfort themed shows.  

But will I be surprised if they whip out a diamonique encrusted sherpa this year?  They've presented every other incarnation of that fabric thus far.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper... More comfort from the Q powers that be huh... Boy, they really know how to beat that poor deceased horse... Of all the years, this is one in which I think we could have used a little 'posh'.... In light of the fact, however, that their 'posh' isn't necessarily my 'posh', probably just as well... Have a nice Thanksgiving, and I'll look forward to that sherpa with bling...

Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb   LOL 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Super Contributor

Who remembers Kathy Levine reading A Cup of Christmas Tea?