Esteemed Contributor

Re: No fabric softener or dryer sheets?

@Imaoldhippie 

First, the short answer:

Fabric softners and dryer sheets were developed for the finished fabrics of the last century. They are damaging to the structurally altered micro sized fibers that become clothes and homegoods now. 

I've never had a problem with static unless I'm drying too hot or way too long.

But I've ruined plenty of items thinking I could get away with adding very small amounts of fabric softener.

The new fabrics look & feel ugly as the sheet or liquid softners cause fibers to clump and twist together and lose their original soft texture. Softner build-up gets worse each time, and the damage won't wash out. 

Long answer:

Like always, fibers are spun into threads that are knit or woven into fabric.

Some fibers that have been around for years, (cotton and polyester for 2 examples) can now be treated and spun using new technology.

What's new?

The very structure of the fibers (picture those chains of molecules you learned about in class) can be altered before it's spun into thread.

The resulting threads give different characteristics to the finished fabric than the old cotton or polyester we knew from the past.

So it requires different care.

Anyone who wants to quibble over what's in, or left out of this post is on their own. I'm going by everything I've read in fabric and garment technology everytime this subject comes up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Thanks all for your replies.  We have well water that is quite hard and I need to use something to soften clothes and other things.

I do not use any softener on anything I want to absorb liquid such as towels, I havent done that since the late 60's.

@Imaoldhippie 

The 'Iron Out' products and the '20 Mule Team Borax' are popular laundry additives here in the great lakes area. They prevent those hard and discoloring mineral deposits.

I get hard lake water but many people use even harder well water.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge ...............Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  I appreciate that you took the time to post it.  Its the answer I was looking for.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I know we can't post a link to other retailers.

Would someone mind giving a Mfg. name or title to these wooly balls you are speaking about?

I couldn't find the right thing on Amazon I don't think!  I got weird search results mostly wool clothing!

Static is an issue for us especially with my husbands dress shirts and sox.

I really need something but know dryer sheets are NOT the best answer.

TIA!!!

Honored Contributor

When I got one of my past dryers, years ago, there was a warning card taped to it, that the warranty would be void if dryer sheets were used with that machine. I still don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener. I never have static. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I use dryer balls and they work great. 

Honored Contributor

@Sheilaray wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Maybe because dryer sheets and fabric softeners coat the fabrics?  Or in the case of some sheets, I believe there is some type of coating that gets ruined?  I know I always hear them say not to use anything on microfiber or polar fleece sheets.

Many people use plain white vinegar in place of liquid fabric softener.  Some have great luck with it.  I did not.  It did nothing for static and sometimes I swear I could smell the vinegar. 

I agree 100%. Vinegar did nothing for the static cling and I could smell it as well.

I heard Amy Stran say that she uses a cheap-o softener that her mother used to use - the yellow Suavatel (sp?)  There is something about those memory scents of our childhood :-)

I live in the Midwest and static cling is a real issue during the winter months. What do you use for it?

@Sheilaray, I think I bought Suavitel once but didn't care for it, mostly because of the scent.

I use unscented liquid fabric softener.  Like you, static cling is terrible in the winter living in Ohio.  I use unscented because I cannot stand to smell my detergent or softener.  I know it's not the best for the machine or the clothes but I have to have something.  Like others have said, I use very little.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Would someone mind giving a Mfg. name or title to these wooly balls you are speaking about?

I couldn't find the right thing on Amazon I don't think!  I got weird search results mostly wool clothing!

TIA!!!

@RespectLife, search wool dryer balls once you get to Amazon.  They come up.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

TIA!!!

@RespectLife, search wool dryer balls once you get to Amazon.  They come up.  Smiley Happy

@Lipstickdiva 

That worked, thanks!  Have no idea why I was just getting 'wool' clothing.

However, there are 7 pages!

Can anyone recommend an exact brand that really works?  I have never heard of this!

@Kachina624   Can you?

Honored Contributor

I have had the same 4 rubbery dryer balls in my dryer for over 8 years now, they just keep going and going.