Honored Contributor

Re: No fabric softener or dryer sheets?

I never use them, anything that's a man-made fabric usually needs a 3 minute spin in the dry and then hang to dry 

Honored Contributor

I find the most effective thing to soften all my laundry are the hard nubby balls.  With all my fleece, it makes them softer than laundry sheets ever did.  The come out very lofty and soft and static electricity seems to be reduced.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Maybe because dryer sheets and fabric softeners coat the fabrics?  Or in the case of some sheets, I believe there is some type of coating that gets ruined?  I know I always hear them say not to use anything on microfiber or polar fleece sheets.

Many people use plain white vinegar in place of liquid fabric softener.  Some have great luck with it.  I did not.  It did nothing for static and sometimes I swear I could smell the vinegar. 

I agree 100%. Vinegar did nothing for the static cling and I could smell it as well.

I heard Amy Stran say that she uses a cheap-o softener that her mother used to use - the yellow Suavatel (sp?)  There is something about those memory scents of our childhood :-)

I live in the Midwest and static cling is a real issue during the winter months. What do you use for it?

Honored Contributor

Thanks all for your replies.  We have well water that is quite hard and I need to use something to soften clothes and other things.

I do not use any softener on anything I want to absorb liquid such as towels, I havent done that since the late 60's.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

How much noise do the balls make in the dryer? I’ve always thought about them but am concerned they’d be clunky and loud.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have not used them for years.

I used to make my own laundry detergent. Now I buy Nellie's. I also use the wool dryer balls plus some vinegar if I need it. I have never smelled the vinegar on our clothes. If I did I would not use it because it does stink. LOL!!!
If you want or need to use dryer sheets you can make your own. Lots of recipes online.

Honored Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
How much noise do the balls make in the dryer? I’ve always thought about them but am concerned they’d be clunky and loud.

@hippiechick7897 

I generally don't notice them unless I'm drying a small load. I have 4 of them in the dryer.

Respected Contributor

I have never used fabric softener and I stopped using dryer sheets years ago.  All I use are the sheepswool dryer balls. That takes care of the static and does not leave any residue like dryer sheets.

Respected Contributor

I don't use liquid fabric softener but I do occasionally use half a dryer sheet on loads containing lots of synthetics.  A low dryer temperature works better for eliminating static.  Over drying causes static, too.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the past year I have just used 1/2 cup white vinegar in the rinse cycle and now that cooler weather is here i use 3 homemade balls of foil [about tennis ball size] which takes care of any static cling. My clothes are actually softer than before as the vinegar cuts any soapy residue.  should add I put the balls in the dryer