Honored Contributor

Re: No fabric softener or dryer sheets?

I really like the rubbery dryer balls with the spokes on them, the spokes keep the air in the dryer cuirculating and keeps a bit of a space between the clothes, making dry time a bit faster and less wrinkling . 

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl wrote:
Spoiler

Horrible stuff in fabic softeners---haven't used them in a few years. I use 6 wooly balls for the dryer--got them on AMZ----if I want scent, I drop a few drops of an essence or scented oil on them, put them in the dryer for 10 minutes on their own and then throw them in with my clothes. works great. I do use dryer sheets to freshen up luggage or drawers and such--but not for my laundry.

That is exactly what I do as well.  Obsessed with the Beekman Brothers sweet grass essential oil scent and use this on my wool balls!!  

Made the mistake of using soap without realizing fabric softener was added.  It ruined my puppy fur towels, they became very matted, non-absorbent 

Super Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Why do the new fabrics recommend no fabric softener or dryer sheets?

What happens when you use them on the fabric?

What about static cling, especially in the winter?

Thanks.

Hello,

To avoid static cling, (after I am dressed)

I swipe the dryer sheets over my clothes.....the thighs, behind,

wherever clothes like to cling!  lol

Honored Contributor

Although I whine almost constantly about several aspects of my current life, I have to admit that "gunky" laundry caused by using an occasional unscented dryer sheet has been ranking fairly low on my whine list.

I shall henceforward vigilantly examine my wrinkly cotton dry goods and undies for dryer sheet gunk and address this menace statically head-on!

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thanks @Kachina624 

I have them in my amazon wish list to purchase very soon.

I am almost done w/ the box of fabric sheets....I hate to waste them ($) and have not really had any adverse effects from using them for years.

But these wooly balls are SO much better!

To use them up and avoid that "wasteful" feeling, tuck them into dresser drawers, and into the pockets of garments hanging on the closet rod so they can act as  sachet/freshners.

Also, I hang them on the bathroom heat vent and let the furnace's warm air bring the scent into the room.

Valued Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thank you @iwrite 

I found them.

@RespectLife 

you are very welcome. glad i could help.

Super Contributor

This must mean the fabrics are treated with chemicals that will interact with dryer sheets and or fab. Softener in a bad way . Otherwise regular fabrics can and will always benefit from a softener. Makes you think about this.
Honored Contributor

I use the wooly balls in my dryer and haven't used fab soft or sheets in 3 years. Works great and if I want to add a scent, you put a few drops of essential oils on them. My clothes come out  fine. 

Contributor

In the winter even using fabric softener and dryer sheets I still get static cling when taking clothes out of dryer.  They crackle and give me shocks.  I do live in a cold weather state.

Do the wooly balls help with this?

Honored Contributor

@summer4me---I don't notice any static, but then I live in WA state and we are wet and not that cold most the time, although it can be very dry when  it is cold----but I do get shocked from time to time but not from my laundry---