Honored Contributor

No fabric softener or dryer sheets?

[ Edited ]

Why do the new fabrics recommend no fabric softener or dryer sheets?

What happens when you use them on the fabric?

What about static cling, especially in the winter?

Thanks.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: No fabric softener or dryer sheets?

Maybe because dryer sheets and fabric softeners coat the fabrics?  Or in the case of some sheets, I believe there is some type of coating that gets ruined?  I know I always hear them say not to use anything on microfiber or polar fleece sheets.

Many people use plain white vinegar in place of liquid fabric softener.  Some have great luck with it.  I did not.  It did nothing for static and sometimes I swear I could smell the vinegar. 

Honored Contributor

Fabric sheets are bad for your dryer also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

i only use fab softener on jeans.  I now use the wool dryer balls on other things and they seem to be fine.  I never use anything at all on towels or my fluffy sheets cause the fibers get coated and flatten.  Towels are much more absorbant and sheets stay fluffy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I often hear the vendors say fabrics have come a long way since 30, 20, even 10 years ago, and fabric softener is really no longer needed.  It coats all fabric; some fabrics can take it, but others (like polar fleece) will just get all gunked up. 

I haven't used fabric softener or dryer sheets for at least 10 years now, and I never get static cling, or any stiffness in my things after cleaning them. 

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

Horrible stuff in fabic softeners---haven't used them in a few years. I use 6 wooly balls for the dryer--got them on AMZ----if I want scent, I drop a few drops of an essence or scented oil on them, put them in the dryer for 10 minutes on their own and then throw them in with my clothes. works great. I do use dryer sheets to freshen up luggage or drawers and such--but not for my laundry.

Trusted Contributor

I use the wool dryer balls when I use the dryer (towels, sheets, etc.) and I have no problems with static.  I line dry all of my clothes.

Honored Contributor

I will say that dryer sheets are terrible for coating fabrics with gunk over time, and I detest them. My mom on the other hand, will throw three at a time in the dryer. Her towels won't dry a thing. 

I think with both liquid softener and sheets, it's all about the quantity. 

I use liquid, just a measured teaspoon per large load, diluted with water, even on all the stuff QVC says not to. Enough to slightly soften and keep the static down. I've seen no ill effects from doing so on those fabrics either. 

People just tend to way over use laundry aids, and that is the problem, not the stuff itself. If you even follow the directions on the bottles it's way too much. 

Small amounts seem to actually be a help, especially with the static. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I will say that dryer sheets are terrible for coating fabrics with gunk over time, and I detest them. My mom on the other hand, will throw three at a time in the dryer. Her towels won't dry a thing. 

I think with both liquid softener and sheets, it's all about the quantity. 

I use liquid, just a measured teaspoon per large load, diluted with water, even on all the stuff QVC says not to. Enough to slightly soften and keep the static down. I've seen no ill effects from doing so on those fabrics either. 

People just tend to way over use laundry aids, and that is the problem, not the stuff itself. If you even follow the directions on the bottles it's way too much. 

Small amounts seem to actually be a help, especially with the static. 

You are right about people overusing products. I have had several repairman tell me never to use the recommended amount of laundry detergent.  That is much more than is needed. 

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Why do the new fabrics recommend no fabric softener or dryer sheets?

What happens when you use them on the fabric?

What about static cling, especially in the winter?

Thanks.

Fabric softeners and dryer sheets coat fabrics, which limits their ability to wick away sweat and moisture. They usually recommend not using fabric softeners or dryer sheets for towels, sheets, and performance (active/athletic) wear. 

I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener and static cling hasn't really been an issue with anything.