Respected Contributor

@elated wrote:

I don't know what is going to happen to all the hosts. They surely don't need to keep them all on payroll. Sadly, businesses need to make hard decisions to stay afloat. Maybe they just need to reboot their old ways and start working with new avenues. I think many customers saw this coming with all their poor performance in many areas.

I worry that they may offer "buy out" packages to senior hosts like Mary Beth and Dan Hughes. I fear that the Q may never return to its old glory days. Seems like its been slowly going downhill for a number of years and COVID pushed them down a cliff. Customer Service was once a staple of QVC and now its deteoriated beyound belief. Joseph Segal must be turning over in his grave.

Trusted Contributor

Disappointed, too, but not surprised. Covid gives the Q a scapegoat.

dee

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Leah just announced on PM Style on QVC 2 that this is the last live show.  Only taped shows from the main channel will be shown.  They will continue to have a QVC2 Big Deal but that will be taped.  Looks like they won't need all these hosts.

Trusted Contributor

What is on their Facebook Page and YouTube Channel?  I've never been on either one so I have no idea what they are referring to.

If the Q offered fresh, new merchandise like they did 15-20 years ago, it would be more interesting to watch and more tempting to buy!

Respected Contributor

Re: No More Live QVC2!

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue wrote:

What is on their Facebook Page and YouTube Channel?  I've never been on either one so I have no idea what they are referring to.

Recorded QVC videos as well as videos of hosts at home such as Rick in his rec room, Antonella in her kitchen, Mary D at home, etc. Nancy did jewelry videos earlier this year but she stopped doing that. 

@Reever wrote:
I worry that they may offer "buy out" packages to senior hosts like Mary Beth and Dan Hughes.

The hosts (including Dan Hughes specifically) seem to indicate that they have one-year contracts, so I think it would make more sense to let them work until their contract ends.

@Reever wrote:
Joseph Segal must be turning over in his grave.

Indeed.

Trusted Contributor
I think Antonella might be on her way out. After the survey and she just seems off lately. I feel bad for her but she doesnt seem like herself anymore. Shes only been on Q2 too. U can tell when a company is pushing u out
Valued Contributor
Unfortunately, I agree Jonnysbro. I think there will be several hosts leaving. HSN has 20 hosts. I would think that is the minimum, but who knows.
Respected Contributor

Re: No More Live QVC2!

[ Edited ]

@AngelLove2 That is an excellent comparison. HSN has 19 hours of live programming daily and 20 hosts, one more than they need. QVC has 20 hours live programming daily and 29 hosts! QVC has 9 more hosts than they need, meaning that there are about 18 hosts that are on-air about half the usual hours that a host would have!

QVC used to have 24 live programming hours daily and 24 hosts from 2003-2005. Then Jane Treacy came back and the number of hosts was 25, which worked out because there were a lot of hosts on maternity leaves from 2005 to 2009. They started to have a few too many hosts until QVC Plus was broadcasting live in 2016, and the number of hosts grew to almost forty when they hired a group of five or more hosts in two successive years, 2017 and 2018.

Trusted Contributor

I never saw any need for extra channels.   The only thing they needed to do was improve the program scheduling.  There is no need for 12 hours of presentation of a TSV in one day.  There are thousands of items that never receive air time.   In the "old days" the hosts knew the products and presented them without 20 minutes of worthless chattering nonsense with a "brand ambassador".   Yes, sometimes it is nice to hear from a representative of a company (but not a brand) but not always necessary.   

Honored Contributor

I read an Instagram post yesterday from someone who works at QVC (not a host) wishing all the QVC employees that lost their job yesterday a fond and sweet farewell.

No specifics of who they are, but obviously it would include lots of behind the scenes folks.  I guess we'll have to wait and see about the hosts.

Honored Contributor

Whenever I turn QVC on I see the same hosts over and over.Maybe it is the time of day, but I hardly ever see the newer hosts. My fear is that the newer hosts who haven't really even been given much of a chance will be gone, as well as some of the older hosts, maybe offering them a good buyout pkg-who knows?

Maybe this is Jill left-she could see the handwriting on the wall, even back then...But there is no way QVC needs as many hosts as they have right now, so unfortunately I think there will be cuts........very sad!