Respected Contributor

Re: No Credibility with so-called "Celebrities"

wrote:

If people don't buy, they won't last.

Exactly.  Turn the channel and don't buy.   Look at how many have come and gone.  LIke those K ladies.  They were on and then off!  thank god!

Respected Contributor

Catherine Zeta Jones does a great job selling her wares on QVC.  Her stuff is lovely.  You can tell she has been involved in all aspects of the designs, etc. I purchased one of her throws and it is just lovely and plush.  Of all of the current celebrities she is the most gracious.  Of course we all miss Joan Rivers - who was the best!

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

Catherine Zeta Jones does a great job selling her wares on QVC.  Her stuff is lovely.  You can tell she has been involved in all aspects of the designs, etc. I purchased one of her throws and it is just lovely and plush.  Of all of the current celebrities she is the most gracious.  Of course we all miss Joan Rivers - who was the best!

@culebra Yes, CZJ does a great job on air, and people throughout these forums have said they've enjoyed the quality of her products.  It's a shame some people would automatically discount her, because she is a celebrity.  

I think in some cases, it's a no-win situation for QVC when it comes to bringing in new designers.  If they bring in an unknown designer who happens to have really good quality and nice designs, people may not pay attention, because they've never heard of the brand name before.  If they bring in a celebrity, people complain that it's not legit and won't make a purchase simply because they dislike celebrities.  They rarely bring in legitimate famous designers who are current, because those designers have no interest in QVC.  

It seems like the only solution to satisfy customers would be to keep pushing new, good quality brands until they stick, or wait for legitimate designers to pass their peak and move on to QVC. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Honestly, I find the shopping channel obsession with middle aged and older celebrities is insulting.  Like I'm so naive or dumb that I'll buy something just because it has famous person hawking it.  Really?  Is that how they think of us

Yes. Yes it is..

AND, they’re absolutely SPOT ON with many, many customers who DO buy stuff just because so-and-so hawks it. They don’t even need to be “celebrities” - look at Lisa Robertson, selling overpriced costime jewelry from her couch. Look at all the countless posts, year after year, of people saying “so-and-so can sell me anything” - and they mean it! And they’re happy to spend $$ based on so-and-so’s shtick.

Yes they do it because a great many QVC customers DO feel that way. QVC knows it and relies on it - and since they continue to go with more and more faux-lebrities, it must be making them money. I’d say they know their audience. Not “all” of their audience, but the audience they’re trying to attract.

We have a society fixated with celebrity and as such, yes, they will purchase anything as long as it is pushed by a celeb or a psuedo celeb. I always wonder why should I purchase a specific vehicle, telephone, fragrance, etc.., because such and such a person says so. Ideally, an average working man or woman would be the right person because he/she can relate better. Show me a construction worker talking about deodorant or a mom and dad talking about the one and only vehicle they can afford to haul arond the kids. Show me someone who acually depends on the product rather than someone who gets paid because he/she is (arguably) a pretty face that appeals to the masses.

Respected Contributor

I have never bought something because a celebrity endorsed or sold it, with the exception of the Paul Newman brand because it’s tasty and the profits go to charity.

Valued Contributor

The prices on Martha's food items are exorbitant.. 48 pigs in a blanket for $60+ and 4 2-b side dishes for over $80!!  Really???

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch.  I don't buy.  They are part of the hype and because THEY ARE FAMOUS (OR SO THEY  THINK) they assume we will buy without thinking on impulse.. 

Trusted Contributor

I think the bottom line is that QVC has been using celebrities to sell its products for several decades, so if they found that their products were not selling, they wouldn't continue to use them.  We have seen many celebrity brands come and go, but we've seen many non-celebrity endorsed brands come and go, too.  It seems that with retail, you never know what the people are really going to like until you put it out there.  In the case of celebrities, however, there must be some degree of like and success, or we wouldn't still be seeing them.  

Super Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

If people don't buy, they won't last.

Yep remenber "Dash" by the Kardashians?