Esteemed Contributor

Re: No Cancer Talk to sell products

I admit I have no knowledge of the references cited here. However, if cancer is used as a point of sales,I am saddened. There must be other ways to sell products. I understand that gifts and kind words can help heal, but going after those suffering from a deadly disease to increase sales is just too much,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hasn't Doris Dalton mentioned cancer re: losing her brows? She said she needed to "invent" a brow product for herself. Laura Geller has said on air that her friend (who lost brows after cancer) asked her for a waterproof brow  product. 

These selling tactics are shameful. 

Contributor

As someone with stage 4 stomach cancer, it is not at all shameful to mention cancer.  IF they said it would CURE cancer that would be shameful.  I don't understand this "outrage" at all.  

Occasional Contributor

Shawn is guilty of this with ladybugs. So distasteful. Is everything about money,

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hasn't Doris Dalton mentioned cancer re: losing her brows? She said she needed to "invent" a brow product for herself. Laura Geller has said on air that her friend (who lost brows after cancer) asked her for a waterproof brow brow product. 

These selling tactics are shameful. 

Why is it shameful, if it's the truth?  "Necessity is the mother of invention."

If these women found a way to fill a need that occurred because of illness, are they not allowed to talk about it?  And in the same vein, is no one allowed to mention cancer during the two annual shows that support cancer research charities?  Perhaps they should stop doing those shows altogether.

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl I wore scarves. At the time I was reading HarryPotter to my youngest who was in kindergarten when I started treatments. Anyway He called me professor Quirrell and wanted to draw Voldemort on the back of my head. He was in kindergarten and would rub my head under my scarf. My daughter was in second grade at the time  and both her and my Now ex husband  never wanted to see me bald. I had my chemo first, then a double mastectomy and finally radiation. I still get shots every month but am doing fine. My cancer was hormone receptive.  I thought that was the toughest year of my life, but my daughter had a cyst this year and then was hospitalized with a bad infection from surgery a month later.  She’s ok now but it’s hard to see your kids sick.  For me cancer seems like yesterday in some ways and far way in others. But yes it was a wild ride.