Trusted Contributor
@sashamatthews wishing you the very best of luck with your future surgery! Wish I could wear a pixie but my face is way too full!
Trusted Contributor

Last May I attended the graduation ceremony at one of our state universities when my DIL received her master's.  Virtually every woman graduate had long, straight hair.  I couldn't help but wonder how many will still have that long hair 20, 30, or 40 years from now.  

Respected Contributor

This is my personal opinion.

At a certain age, which differs from person to person, shorter hair is more flattering.  It is just a matter of the way the eye works.  Longer hair draws the eye down, and makes the face look droopier.

I remember once hearing Lisa Robertson say that volume at the crown (not flat hair) was an "instant facelift."  I totally agree with her.  Shorter hair with a bit of height at the crown can take years off your face.

I know someone who is in her 60's and growing her hair longer.  I saw her in photos from a few years ago with shorter hair.  She looked SO MUCH younger.

There is a certain host who needs to lose the prom queen hair and make it shorter.  I once saw her with her hair pinned up (I thought she had it cut) and I thought to myself HOW MUCH younger she looked.

Hair also changes as you age.  I had really beautiful hair (auburn, shiny, wavy), and it hs gotten a different texture, not nearly as nice.  My stylist told me coloring the hair makes it look smoother, and I have found it to be true.  I miss my natural hair the most!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I think long hair is pretty if it has body, shine and thickness.  Not much you can do for long hair if straight and stringy and flat to the head.  If short it can be styled.  I cannot tell anymore if people are wearing their own hair or extensions.  

Respected Contributor

I have had longer, medium, short hair with  both side part, middle part.

Did the bang thing a couple times,hated them and grew them out.

Never again for me. And I totally mean that this time!

My hair is fine, thin and basically straight.

I keep it right above shoulder length with a middle part and like it.

If I want to switch it up at all, i wear it in a ponytail, wear a headband, or do a side part.

Works for me. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Short hair is so much easier to deal with.  

I haven't used the hair dryer since I got my pixie in August.  Wash and wear.

That has not been true for me.  With short hair I have to deal with my weird parts and I actually have to spend time styling it.  For me, easy hair is a bit longer and a perm.  There is no such thing as wash and wear hair for me.  I have to dry it no matter what the length.

I see cute short haircuts, but almost all of them are curly or very close to the head.  A curly short do is too much maintenance if you need a perm to get there and the close to the face look is awful on me, but gorgeous on Angela Bassett.  I once tried a Lisa Rinna do and I really liked it, but it required work with the flat iron every day.  

Contributor

I have short hair and I'm loving it. It easy to manage and I don't have to use too much shampoo and conditioner for it. 

Contributor

IMO So many of  the fashions look more attractive on models with short hair.  Customers don't have to wonder what the neckline or collar looks like

Esteemed Contributor

i feel Pat James looked stunning whendhe had that short hair cut way back when. Although she does look beautiful with her long hair too.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had short hair years ago , very fringy and layered loved it but it took more styling then my long hair does now.  Had to be blown out , curling iron , and trimmed every 4 weeks   3 was better but I wasn't going to spend my life at the  salon.  Now with my long hair I go every 6 weeks just to freshen up my highlights and Barely trim the ends.  Much easier.    I have several short hair wigs and that gives me my short hair when I feel like having it 😺