Contributor

At least that what was posted here before that they make in regards to salary. Can't confirm if true but regardless I am sure everything comes down to dollars made when on TV

Respected Contributor

Thank you SPURT that was helpful. Cathy looks just like a young Sandra! 

Honored Contributor

I doubt very much that new hosts earn "six-figure salaries".  Those high amounts are more likely earned by long-time hosts, but since none of us is privy to the financial compensation of hosts, who knows?  Maybe the Q is an extraordinarily generous employer.

I understand that viewers are going to dislike certain mannerisms of individual hosts; not everyone is going to like everyone else.

However, I find it sad how fast people are to jump on the newer hosts.  We all had to learn our jobs at some point in our careers.  Thankfully, we weren't all under a microscope while learning.  And, yes, whatever you think - the new hosts are still learning the job.

I also realize that many aren't prepared to cut them any slack.  (Don't worry, if they don't bring in the sales, QVC will cut them loose and there'll be another "newbie" to critique soon enough.)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I haven't bothered to read through all the posts on this thread, but I get the gist.

I wonder if, during training or interviewing, they explain to potential hosts that their every perceived flaw will be immediately dissected and they will be ripped to shreds for all their "failings"?  It seems it would only be fair to let new hosts know exactly what they're in for - a baptism of fire.

I wonder how well any of us would perform in a new job, especially if we had a forum where everyone could post his/her criticisms?  Hmmm.

I agree somewhat, but I think that at the very least a new host should have a decent speaking voice and a strong command of the English language.  I find it hard to believe she was in television before this job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

I've seen Alex 3 or 4 times now, and I have to say she has a very strong personality.  I have no idea what her background is, but she's very self-assured, she is not in the least tentative or reserved, the way most new hosts are in the beginning.

You are right - she isn't in the least reserved, but she should be reigned in a bit, and she needs a filter on her voice. I don't hear as well as I once did, but I'm not deaf and I hate being screamed/screeched at.  Can't watch this girl. Didn't see or hear her with Mally, as I can't watch Mally with anyone. There's another newby, pretty girl with long dark hair, who has the most annoying nasal twant I've heard in years.  The Q is really running me away with some of the hosts. Give me more Katie Magee, Carolyn, Jill, Mary Beth and a few others.  I don't want to be screamed at. Life's too short.

@Perkup ~ There is a very seasoned female host that sounds extremely nasally...I always find myself saying "please blow your nose,"...I have a hard time listening to her when she's on.🤧

@AKgirl2 @Perkup

I agree what is up with QVC---if you have a nasal sounding voice you are sure to be hired by QVC---LOL!!!!  Alex is just out of control and I wont watch a host that screeches/screams!!! That is not necessary and doesn't make me buy anything---it does just the opposite and I grab the remote............

ITA I think Katie McGee is excellent---and I also like Carolyn, Leah, Pat, and Jayne Brown can be quite good (if she isn't in one of her silly moods ).........

Hey, @Spurt. I wonder what the 9,995 they didn't hire were like?

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

I've seen Alex 3 or 4 times now, and I have to say she has a very strong personality.  I have no idea what her background is, but she's very self-assured, she is not in the least tentative or reserved, the way most new hosts are in the beginning.

You are right - she isn't in the least reserved, but she should be reigned in a bit, and she needs a filter on her voice. I don't hear as well as I once did, but I'm not deaf and I hate being screamed/screeched at.  Can't watch this girl. Didn't see or hear her with Mally, as I can't watch Mally with anyone. There's another newby, pretty girl with long dark hair, who has the most annoying nasal twant I've heard in years.  The Q is really running me away with some of the hosts. Give me more Katie Magee, Carolyn, Jill, Mary Beth and a few others.  I don't want to be screamed at. Life's too short.

@Perkup ~ There is a very seasoned female host that sounds extremely nasally...I always find myself saying "please blow your nose,"...I have a hard time listening to her when she's on.🤧

@AKgirl2 @Perkup

I agree what is up with QVC---if you have a nasal sounding voice you are sure to be hired by QVC---LOL!!!!  Alex is just out of control and I wont watch a host that screeches/screams!!! That is not necessary and doesn't make me buy anything---it does just the opposite and I grab the remote............

ITA I think Katie McGee is excellent---and I also like Carolyn, Leah, Pat, and Jayne Brown can be quite good (if she isn't in one of her silly moods ).........

Hey, @Spurt. I wonder what the 9,995 they didn't hire were like?

@febe1

Yes TAJA....scary thought isn't it.......

download (6).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

Re: New Host Alex

[ Edited ]

Hey @Venezia they don't make 6 figures huh?  Just starting out? Just google "casting qvc hosts $100,000" and see what comes up...  this is public info on casting notices... high risk expects high return...

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I doubt very much that new hosts earn "six-figure salaries".  Those high amounts are more likely earned by long-time hosts, but since none of us is privy to the financial compensation of hosts, who knows?  Maybe the Q is an extraordinarily generous employer.

I understand that viewers are going to dislike certain mannerisms of individual hosts; not everyone is going to like everyone else.

However, I find it sad how fast people are to jump on the newer hosts.  We all had to learn our jobs at some point in our careers.  Thankfully, we weren't all under a microscope while learning.  And, yes, whatever you think - the new hosts are still learning the job.

I also realize that many aren't prepared to cut them any slack.  (Don't worry, if they don't bring in the sales, QVC will cut them loose and there'll be another "newbie" to critique soon enough.)

@Venezia

According to Kerstin that helped train some of the new hosts on fitness equipment: 

"It takes months of studying and practice to get to the point where a host gets to be on TV and come into your home and spend time with you."

If what we are seeing is after months and months of training, then we have a valid right to give our critique.............And I dont think saying that a new host should stop the teenage slang or stop the screeching and screaming is not being unreasonable......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@heatherhayhey wrote:

Hey @Venezia they don't make 6 figures huh?  Just starting out? Just google "casting qvc hosts $100,000" and see what comes up...  this is public info on casting notices... high risk expects high return...

Not surprised at all that this is the starting salary since the "seasoned" hosts make many times that.  (Their salaries have been reported in the newspapers, etc. so we posters aren't "making this up.")

Honored Contributor

The new hosts are in training for many months before we see them.  If they (and QVC) choose not to take these comments as "constructive criticism" they will be the losers.   I also think Alex is too loud and I really dislike the "made-up" words (like Shawn uses) and terms like "the bomb.com" just don't fit into a professional presentation.   I know we have the ability to change the channel and a lot of us are doing that.