Super Contributor

I always wondered why Gary didn't have a back up co hosts like the other designers. I am so happy to see him get some help. Tess is adorable and I think she will do D & C proud. Welcome Tess

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

He's probably nearing retirement and so this is a good time to train someone to step in.  At least he can take time off now and then until.

Honored Contributor

I can't quite figure out why Gary needs a back-up.  If he wants to go on vacation or gets sick, is there a reason one of the hosts can't do a D&C show alone?  Its not like someone is necessary to give gobs of highly technical information other than squirrel trivia.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can't quite figure out why Gary needs a back-up.  If he wants to go on vacation or gets sick, is there a reason one of the hosts can't do a D&C show alone?  Its not like someone is necessary to give gobs of highly technical information other than squirrel trivia.

If that's the case then the same can be said about mostly all other OAP that have a back-up rep (ex: Plow & Hearth, Spenco, Susan Graver, etc.)

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    I find the same thing to be true of nearly any designer bcause once I have listened to any of them a few times, I can virtually always anticipate the great majority of what any of them will say.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops    Plus there's  o evidence any of the "designers" actually do any designing.  The only one I've heard even refer to having designed something is David Dangle and his comments are in the vein of bragging. 

I figure most of the stuff we see is designed in back rooms in factories in Asia.  I never hear Gary Goben say he designed anything.  He used to refer to his "team" but dropped those comments after the big QVC layoff in 2019.  He just seems to be a D&C commentator these days, apparently never even going into Studio Park.  He does seem to manage to work in a nice vacation trip every year even without a stand-in.  He always posts photos on his FB page.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@millieshops    Plus there's  o evidence any of the "designers" actually do any designing.  The only one I've heard even refer to having designed something is David Dangle and his comments are in the vein of bragging. 

I figure most of the stuff we see is designed in back rooms in factories in Asia.  I never hear Gary Goben say he designed anything.  He used to refer to his "team" but dropped those comments after the big QVC layoff in 2019.  He just seems to be a D&C commentator these days, apparently never even going into Studio Park.  He does seem to manage to work in a nice vacation trip every year even without a stand-in.  He always posts photos on his FB page.

I don't believe this is the situation at all. He still talks about his team (frequently mentions the print design team), but as is often the case for someone who is responsible for the design direction of an entire brand, he may do less hands-on designing these days than people who work for him. But he is, indeed, a trained designer with years of experience--far more than just a commentator.

BTW, I don't think the squirrels are going anywhere, so those who have a problem with them will just have to live with it, I guess. Carolyn mentioned how many great comments she got after her trip and the photos she posted, and they have started to more officially include them in the shows (with Nutsy's Nugget and their Squirrel it Away deal). Personally, it doesn't bother me, as I don't mind seeing nice people having a little fun. Quite a few of the D&Co "fans" seem to enjoy them, too, judging from the number of cards and other items people send to them.

Finally, the most frequently cited origin of having a squirrel moment is from the movie Up, and that is the background for why Carolyn started saying "squirrel" to Gary (it seems like it was whenever he saw anything that came in a certain color--gold maybe--that he got distracted by it). In any case, remember--Carolyn and Gary didn't start the Nutsy thing on their own ... a fan sent Nutsy to them!