Honored Contributor

Re: New Customers get $5 off!

There is a department on DirecTV (and probably other companies) called "customer retention".   If you have been a customer for a long time, they might give you a break.  My DD used to work for DirecTV and she worked in that department.   She almost always gave the "old" customer the same deal as the new customers.

@Venezia

Honored Contributor

@software - Thanks.  I usually call them up about every year and, if they don't reduce my costs, I tell them I have no loyalty and am happy to switch providers.  It works for a while but gradually the costs creep back up.

In fact, they're overdue for a call from me now!  Just had too much going on to get to it, but it's on the list.

Esteemed Contributor

I was a very loyal QVC customer for many years, and I spent a lot of money.  In all that time I only ever received a birthday card - just once.  So I realized a long time ago that QVC is not all that interested in acknowledging loyalty.

I now do business with companies who value my business.  I don't expect QVC to change the way they've been doing things.  An offer of $5 off to lure in new customers doesn't bother me in the slightest.  $5 is nothing to get upset/excited about, and many businesses have offers for new customers so I don't see it as that big a deal.

Respected Contributor

They don't seem to value loyalty. I never got the five dollars when I became a new customer. Stuff like that does make you feel like you were kicked to the curb a little. But really, 5 bucks is just nothing.

Honored Contributor

If l weren't already a QVC customer, offering me $5 off my first purchase would hardly be an incentive to join the QVC "family." Lol. It's almost insulting, IMO. $10 or more might get my attention.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If I could only offer to give a miserly $5, as an incentive, I'd be so embarassed I just wouldn't offer anything.  Do they really think $5, is going to lure new customers? 

It sure doesn't give one the feeling of generosity. It's pitiful.

I don't have a Qcard b/c they've never offered me anything like they really wanted me as a customer.

I do have an HSN card. They offered me 20% off a $700. treadmill if I opened their card. Oh yeah, I got an HSN card and ever since they treat me like a valued customer they want to keep and treat me like a VIP with always continuing special offers, like l0, l5, 20, 25% off any one purchase. Very often $l0. off any one purchase. All if you use their card.

No retail sends me anything by snail mail w/o offering me something or other to visit them and buy something.

And the Q? Easy Pays, Auto Delivery, and free S&H once in a great while. I guess they just don't value me being a big money-spending customer like others do.

Respected Contributor

$5 won't even cover the shipping and handling fee on many items. 

Respected Contributor

That $5 offer is pitiful.  And easy pay is nothing to me. I don't want to see an $11 charge for 3 months. Maybe would be ok for large purchases, but I prefer to make those in person not on TV.

Super Contributor

I am truly embarrassed for them when they go on and on about this. 

I mean, really . . . $5??!!!!   Get serious. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I don't think it's at all unusual for businesses to have a "come-on" to "lure" in new customers.  Doesn't bother me.

You're right, it's not new at all and offering an incentive doesn't bother me at all either.  What bothers me is that you can hardly get a large cup of "special" coffee for $5 bucks anymore.  They're making it sound like it's this huge big deal when it's really kind of a Meh .....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*