Frequent Contributor

What items did you think you just "had to have" and it is never worn or sitting on a shelf in your basement, attic or garage?

Valued Contributor

I am a handbag junkie and have far too many - and most sit on a shelf in my closet.  In the past, I gave away many of them, but, since  most are Dooneys, they are too structured and large for my now mostly retired friends.

Everytime I open my closet, the unused bags seem to mock me.  So, going forward, I am going to try to use a different one each time I go out.  

Respected Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

I am a handbag junkie and have far too many - and most sit on a shelf in my closet.  In the past, I gave away many of them, but, since  most are Dooneys, they are too structured and large for my now mostly retired friends.

Everytime I open my closet, the unused bags seem to mock me.  So, going forward, I am going to try to use a different one each time I go out.  

Why not sell them on eBay? Make yourself some money while you're at it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

I think of the bread maker my MIL bought back when they were popular, made a lot of bread, everyone gained weight, now it is in the closet!!

Honored Contributor

That happens with clothes and kitchen gadgets.  I rarely buy kitchen gadgets unless there is an immediate need.  I try hard not to buy clothes that are on sale, unless I had been watching the item at full price.  I don't buy at end of season sales because I often don't wear it when that season comes back.

Honored Contributor

Kitchen gadgets are my catnip so to speak. I 'm much better than I used to be, but sometimes I wish that I had the money  I spent on  gadgets that ended up in my junk drawer,

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

My husband's 'must have' item was a home ice cream maker.  Our son got one as a gift and seemed to love it.  Honestly, when he brought us ice cream made in it, I didn't see that it was that much better than store bought.  But my husband really wanted one. 

He used it for a while and we bought all kinds of fruit, different extracts and flavorings.   Some times he said it was really good and other times, just OK.  The problem was when a batch was not the greatest, it really did need to be eaten or it seemed such a waste.  So he ate a lot of just so-so ice cream trying to find some recipe that was really good.

In the beginning, he used it every week.  Then the use really tapered off.  He realized that it was a lot of trouble to go to for something he did not absolutely love.  I now buy him a gallon container of ice cream at WalMart which he says is as good as making his own without going to all the trouble.  The ice cream maker took up a lot of space in the pantry and now occupies a spot in a plastic bag in the basement.  My son says he no longer uses his either.....

Respected Contributor

@coco14 I did the same thing.  Bought entirely too many handbags, which sit in the closet unused.  Fortunately none are Dooney, so didn't spend as much on them.  It was a whim out of control, but fortunately came to an end.

Respected Contributor

I use almost everything I buy, but I have a few pairs of shoes I've never worn or have worn only once or twice.  This includes a handful of brightly colored ankle boots/booties in wine or multiple colors (blues/greens), beige, and brown.  I mostly wear black footwear, but I like gray or even a dark navy, which is nearly impossible to find.  I've made a point lately of reminding myself not to buy things in colors I don't wear even if I'd like them on someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Never used item...

[ Edited ]

Clothing items that I Ioved and/or were too good a deal to pass up - but they never fit!!! After a year + of being on a health kick, they're fitting now! It's fun shopping in my closet. Woman Very Happy