Honored Contributor

Re: NOw I really have heard it all!

I find it ridiculously funny.....  to sell something on TV requires being able to speak, communicate with a decent vocabulary and even some acting skills in order to convince the viewing public to buy~!  

Go ahead dear host.... talk like your texting and see what happens to your sales.  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Could it be that, in the future, many people just won't talk.  If they are always 'looking down' (texting) and not practicing their vocal skills, well...............It is a possibility.   Especially if they begin texting at an early age (children).  Hopefully teachers are encouraging kids to speak.  Fifteen minutes of public speaking per day in elementary school would be a good idea.  Gathering their thoughts, and giving an oral report regarding what they have learned that day might help.  Well, it's a step in the right direction..........right?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Since they're not taught cursive writing, I just wonder what they're going to do when they have to sign a document or check?  Put an "X"?  A nation of computer geniuses who can't write or spell. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue I'm 64 & never heard it before. 

Honored Contributor

My pet peeve is talking and writing in text talk.  I am fine with texting me that way.  Just don't expect to be taken seriously if you write or talk to me that way.

I was a manager in a Fortune 500 company for nearly 40 years.  I was always amazed that younger people didn't know the difference between texting and business writing.  Some had no idea how to form a sentence.  Their letters and emails were a mix of text and whole words.  We had a lot of remedial writing classes and they learned but it just seemed so odd to me. You can't be professional and write in text language.

Esteemed Contributor

Being an ignoramous is not cool. Ignorance of grammar, spelling, and simple courtesy does not lead anyone to career promotions. I have heard of young adults who cannot tell time or write their name in script,. This is not progress but rather regression to a standard we haven't seen for over a century. 

Respected Contributor

I taught at a local business college .... the 19-year-old freshmen did not know the difference between:   Too  To       Then  Than     Advice  Advise    

But they knew how to cut class!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@ChynnaBlue I'm 64 & never heard it before. 

I'm 47 and we used it in high school. It was also used in TV shows in the 90s.

Honored Contributor

Love how the default is 'now-a-days' talk.....

and the obligatory text-bashing. 

As if slang never, ever, ever, ever, ever,

existed before 2017.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Being an ignoramous is not cool. Ignorance of grammar, spelling, and simple courtesy does not lead anyone to career promotions. I have heard of young adults who cannot tell time or write their name in script,. This is not progress but rather regression to a standard we haven't seen for over a century. 

While I agree with this, grammar and language change over time. The dictionary is updated annually, both with new words and alternate spellings of words. Using new words or shortened words does not necessarily make one an ignoramus. Shakespeare was known for creating new words (nearly 2000 of them) and I don't think anyone would call him an ignoramus. Even the word 'literally' literally no longer means literally, it now also means figuratively when used informally.

Not being able to write in script is not going to impact most careers or professional advancement.The only time I've had to sign my name on anything at work has been on my initial contract and greeting cards. My office is mostly paperless. I always got As in handwriting and can write anything in script, but the only things I write by hand are flip chart lists and whiteboard notes. I always print those so that they can be read across a room, which is more difficult with script.

Grammar still matters at work and I agree that bad grammar can hold back one's career. But I work in a global corporation where English is a second language to many. Grammar is different across the globe, which is also tricky. My job includes taking written documents from people from all over the world and documenting it all in American English, which is not even the same as English in actual England. We spell things differently and have different rules for punctuation than those in the UK, so I even have to convert British English to American English.

Workplace skills have also changed over time. No one in my office cares if I can write in script because no one needs me to do that; they need me to know PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. 

tl;dr: Grammar matters, but everything changes and we adapt or stagnate.