Esteemed Contributor

Re: My latest Medicaid fiasco

Sorry, my bad.  DH has Medicare not Medicaid.

Trusted Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Sorry, my bad.  DH has Medicare not Medicaid.

To help reduce fraid, Medicare has strict billing standards.  What could have easily happened is that tje ER doctor did not notate the chart appropriately or the hospital billing department did not code it properly.  It happens.  It is not a major deal and sounds as if the issue is beoing handled.

As has been pointed out by otherss, private insurance could have done the same thing.  In fact, most health insurance companies follow Meicare's lead.  Again, it is no big deal at this point.  Mistakes happen.

Trusted Contributor

Twenty seven miles in a helicopter is a minute away - patient was in CRITICAL CONDITION. 

Prayers for your Husband KP - sounds like you have enough stress ... Prayers for you too !

Respected Contributor

No one has to take Medicare.  Those who don't like it can opt out.  It is a government program so resources are limited.

Respected Contributor

I just want to say that I am sorry you are going through this and hope you get it resolved. I wonder if the ER nurse you spoke to can have the doc write a letter for you.

I'm surprised that Medicare questions anything...they allow such nonsense to be paid yet in a CRITICAL situation they are questonng it??? That is such BS.

I know some  that go to the dr. for toenail trimming...no lie and the doc bills it as surgery. The doc gets paid and Meidcare doesn't question it. Grr.

Take care and best wishes for your DH.

Honored Contributor

I wish your husband well as well and can say that if the government is paying for it, yes, they will ask doctors to justify the cost.

My father was in a skilled nursing facility, on a respirator, unable to move a muscle, the respirator keeping him alive when he had an infection so bad he almost died.  The doctor in charge ordered an ambulance with attendants who knew how to "bag" a patient to keep them alive during the trip without a respirator.  He barely made it to the ER. 

When the bills started to arrive, not only did I have to get the doctor to write why he was sent.  I actually got a PHONE CALL talking to me, asking me WHY I couldn't take him to the ER in my CAR.  I was actually turned down for repayment!!  I was outraged and dumbfounded by this!  I said I had gotten a doctor's signed letter of explanation as to why....  the man couldn't move a muscle and needed a respirator to breathe, did they not understand what a respirator was or the fact that I wouldn't be able to carry him to my car, put him in the backseat, bag his lungs for him AND DRIVE??

They paid for it but I'll never forget it.  State of California btw.... 

All this when your emotions are stretched to the breaking point.  I had just lost my Mother and my Father was dying......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I think the whole world is questioning the money used at the end of life.  These issues will come up more as time goes on.