Frequent Contributor

So many times, too many times , I have spent $$$ To return an item that I thought “what was I thinking” after it arrived at my house.  Sooooo, I have devised a test that I go through before picking up the phone and ordering.  It’s quite simple.  I ask myself..... if it wasn’t on qvc or hsn with all the hype and selling points, and I saw it at the mall or someplace else would I buy it?  95% of the time the answer is NO.   

Honored Contributor

@CindyDale wrote:

So many times, too many times , I have spent $$$ To return an item that I thought “what was I thinking” after it arrived at my house.  Sooooo, I have devised a test that I go through before picking up the phone and ordering.  It’s quite simple.  I ask myself..... if it wasn’t on qvc or hsn with all the hype and selling points, and I saw it at the mall or someplace else would I buy it?  95% of the time the answer is NO.   

My problem is that I need to see it in person to make the decision.I am a complete online shopping fail.

Honored Contributor

That's a good way to cut down on impulse buys. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My trick is this-----do I NEED it or do I WANT it? Usually I really don't need it. And another trick is to googled that item to see if I can get it at a better price and free s/h . that has worked very well for me too. 

Honored Contributor

@CindyDale wrote:

I seem to be the polar opposite of you. I keep 95% of what I ordered from QVC. I love the convenience of shopping from home and not having to go to the malls. I lost count of how many times I would go, waste money on gas, spend hours searching racks of clothes to only come home empty handed. Either I didn't like anything or what I did like wasn't available in my size.

"Different strokes..." as they say...

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

While I agree with and try to adhere to the line between 'need vs. want' theory, sometimes that line gets a little blurry for me.

This morning I bought 2 pair of jeans from a brand that I have several of and love, at a great price.

Did I need more jeans? No, I have plenty, but I didn't have THESE jeans.....so I bought them.

Sigh....I guess I'm a work in progress.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom---oh my friend---I hear you!! But I just went thru a huge purge earlier this year and found I had over 40 pairs------going to let that soak in a minute-Man Embarassed----40 pairs of jeans that were in a dresser of which I wore only 3 or 4 of---now that is over kill to the max-----did the same with shoes/boots /purses too. And then there were the 20 leather/ suede jackets I HAD to have and not wear-----think I learned my lesson--finally!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm in my 60s, so I have spent a lot of times in malls,

I still love the mall experience.

I like to look & touch & try on.

I do some online shopping and my success rate is probably 70%, which is not too bad.

The advantage to mall shopping, stores like Macy's & Nordstrom are the SALES.

QVC sales aren't anything to brag about.

I don't like how QVC raises prices, then reduces them, then raises them again as a clearance price.   

Esteemed Contributor

Usually it is prudent to wait a week.  If they are getting you all pumped with hype, forget about it.

Super Contributor

My test is...do you want it bad enough to wait the 10-14 days it takes to get the item??? Right now, I have things sitting in "processing" for over a week. They're gifts, so I didn't need them immediately...but seriously, the time it takes for them to process their orders is ridiculous. 

My other test is to remind myself how often I had to return things because they don't fit...even though I used their chart with the item's measurements. I hate returning things, so often I'll simply not order to avoid the whole frustrating experience.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren