Valued Contributor

I often wonder when the odd pronunciation of some words like button became buh-in.  (There are other examples but can't think of them now  -   old person excuse       LOL).  I don't think it's regional. Anyway, it seems to be recent (last 10 years?).

Trusted Contributor

@SandySparkles  Totally disagree with you Miss Sunshine...   If you're a public figure you should defiitely pronounce words properly...

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@SandySparkles  Totally disagree with you Miss Sunshine...   If you're a public figure you should defiitely pronounce words properly...

@Junebug54 

😂😂 It is funny that you called me Miss Sunshine because my dear paternal grandfather called me Sunshine from the day I was born💝, so I THANK you for that comforting memory❤ however it might have been intended!😁 I appreciate your perspective❤, but it truly is a nonissue for me.🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖 

Super Contributor
Who's to say what is "proper?" Different regions, different cultures, and even different generations come into play. If you want to talk about what is "correct," okay, but than Ametican accents in general are "incorrect." English didn't come from here.

Take a look at the word "button." There are British people who sharply pronounce both t's, and there are people that don't pronounce the t at all. If they have regional accents, why wouldn't Americans?
Respected Contributor

@seehorse I have family from Toledo.  I have heard it pronounced many ways over the years.  I think alot of different pronunications depends on so many factrors.  My physician struggles with a few medical terrms and we chuckle about it.  She says you know what I mean!  I know when she writes it in my chart we never have a problem. Communication understood!

Contributor

Yes, pwahn-tell would be the correct French pronounciation, but not the Americanized pronounciation.  In no region or geography is it pon-tell, however. 

Contributor

It's actually "nit" picking, but maybe you know that and are just playing along! 
😉😘

@ellaphant wrote:

@Cee Cee wrote:

So I know this is a pet peeve of mine, but the hosts talk for a living, so someone should be telling them when they mispronounce words. I really like Ali, but on Q2 tonight, she has repeatedly mispronounced pointelle, saying pon-tell (like pon-toon).  The correct pronounciation is poin-tell (like poin-ter).  She had multiple pointelle items on her show, and it was like fingernails on a chalkboard every time she mispronounced it. Channel changed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Geesh the knit picking by people .  

Respected Contributor

@Cee CeeYou really care????  You won't buy a product if the salesman doesn't use perfect pronunciation?  Gimme a break.

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

I love reading this topic on this blog because I can always count on people posting "There are more important things to worry about."  The mispronounced words mentioned here by the OP and others are not a regional thing.  They are being mispronounced.  And if it were me, I would appreciate being told I was mispronouncing them, especially if I were in the public eye.    

Instead of saying it's regional, I could have said "just be nice to others."  Pronunciation police are not needed anywhere.

Honored Contributor

@Cee Cee 

It's a pet peeve of mine, too, but try correcting someone and soon there will be others saying you are incorrect.  So, it goes, over the years, two pronunciations have emerged.  Both sides will say the other side is wrong.  

In this case, someone from France might say all of you are wrong....but, Whoa there!!!...we are not French.  

I suppose my English rules come from my English teachers, they from their universities at the time I was attending those classes.  

Don't bother contacting them anymore since many, now, are too concerned or rather forbidden from hurting anyone's feelings by correcting a mispronounced word.  

Same with dictionaries, I have no idea where they are going.  Every slang becomes a correct member of the English language.  An actual English word.

Same with search engines on the internet.  Ask how to pronounce a word and everyone comes out of the woodwork to tell you how.  They will even go on Youtube and pronounce their version for you.  Hey, the one with the right answer, raise your hand.

Yes, you are correct, poin is not pon in the American English language.