Honored Contributor

I can think of several reasons why Rinna is still around, but the biggest one for me would be that if I didn't read these forums, I would never have know she threw that rant.  I neither nor heard anything about it except here.  Has it been all over the media elsewhere?

I don't like that public figures use the platform they have to speak low of other people whether individuals or groups, but I think that's what sells in our country right now.  So many have adopted the say what you think no matter whether it's true or kind philosophy.  Long gone is one of my father's primary messages: If you don't have something good to say, say nothing.

Super Contributor

People need to vote with their $$$$.  If people don't buy her items on QVC then she will go away quickly.

Respected Contributor

Re: Misplaced Loyalty?

[ Edited ]

@GSPgirl wrote:

Joan Rivers was always putting people down about weight and looks.  I remember when people on this board asked for QVC to get rid of her.  Maybe in QVC's eyes she didn't go over the line like Paula Deen did.  Just a thought. 

Do I remember wrong or what?  I thought what Paula Deen said was said about 20 years ago.  Lots of things that were routinely used 20 years ago are not appropriate today.  If I am out in the yard when the group of four men come to do the yard across the street from me, I know one is named Michael and the other three are referred to (loud and strong and often) as the N word. It's what they call each other. So if it's so wrong and offensive, why do they use it all the time?  Poof me if you lilke - this is a legitimate question on my part.

As for Joan Rivers, she was known for her rudeness. But she made money for QVC's bottom line, so it was okay.  As for Lisa R.  I can do without her, her comments and her clothes.  BTW the dress she had on at Super Saturday was entirely too revealing for a Saturday morning show.  Disgusting as usual.

Honored Contributor

@birkinbaby  Joan was a consummate comedian and because of thatr she knew that they only good comedy has to be built on truth.  She often choose to exploit easy targets -  if what she said has a hint of truth in iut, she knew her barbs would work.

Sometimes i liked her, sometimes I didn't.  And as with Rinna, I bought what she sold on QVC only when I liked what she was selling, never because she was the one selling. 

I try very hard to separate my buying from the persobnalties/character of the vendors.  I like some vendors really well as tv personalities, but I don't like what they sell so I don't buy it.  Works the other way around, too.  Maybe this is because you can't teach an old shopper new tricks; for most of my life I had very little idea of the "who" behind what I was buying, so now I don't care all that much.

Ironically for this discussion, I've never wanted to buy Rinna (or Paula Dean) but it always had to do with what they were selling, nothing else.

Respected Contributor

Re: Misplaced Loyalty?

[ Edited ]

I hate to say this because I hope it doesn't sound insensitive. Some people (I know one) have a very distorted, scary view on overweight people. I think, jmho, at least the person I know, it stems from THEIR insecurities with their own weight issues. Lisa is very thin. I wonder if she has this problem. To me, it's almost like an eating disorder, and they have to view being overweight as vile and disgusting to maintain their own weight. 

Not saying this is Lisa, not saying it's ok. But I do think the person I know fits that to a T. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm overweight and forgot about what she said the day she said it.

I'm torn on this.  What she said was wrong, rude, disgusting, mean, and ridiculous.  One of the last few things that it's ok to make fun of in our society is being overweight.  It's wrong and hurts people.  

At the same time, she didn't incite violence, bigotry, and hate like so many in the public eye these days.  Where are those who are upset with Rinna when people say those things?  Yes, she said something totally rude and insensitive and mean.  

If we fired everyone for what they say on their own time, there wouldn't be anyone on Q.  I thought Joan Rivers was much worse with what she said about others.  It could also be that it has nothing to do with her contract.

IMO, her words DID incite bigotry & hate toward people who are overweight.

Bingo. Overweight people are discriminated against in so many ways and it's legal. People still feel 'safe' saying terrible things about overweight people, and that's sad to me. Hate is hate.

Honored Contributor

The rant was in response to a few rude obnoxious trolls on some type of social media and wasn't a general statement of hate to everyone else!!  I've seen much worse here on these boards!!

Regular Contributor

Lisa's stuff sells out on a regular basis, whether you like her or her stuff this is a fact.  I read a bit of what she said from others, this to shall pass and memory will fade.

Honored Contributor

Rinna remains because her stuff sells, maybe despite her, who knows... Rivers was a staple because she sold and because a significant part of her act was built on saying shocking things, and her 'targets' were more universal. Deen was deep-sixed probably because she'd ceased to be a huge draw anyway and most likely because she 'went there' with regard to race... Right or wrong, in today's climate, it's apparently acceptable to disparage some groups but not others... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

The rant was in response to a few rude obnoxious trolls on some type of social media and wasn't a general statement of hate to everyone else!!  I've seen much worse here on these boards!!

That's the point.  She didn't rant at a fat person.  She called those she was angry with names that SHE sees as insults.  Obviously she believes that being fat, being single and owning cats is offensive.  Then she comes on the Q and says how much she loves ALL women and wants ALL women to wear her clothing.  Can anyone say PHONEY?