Honored Contributor

Good comments and recipes!  However, I also suggest...post this in the Recipe Forum.

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I need a good meatloaf recipie.i am a fan of green peppers and onions in this dish,but never get that great of taste

I use the Lipton onion mix meatloaf recipe.  It's easy.  Just google it for the recipe.  I make a "sauce" to go over it when I bake it.  It's a Ree Drummon recipe:

1/2 cup ketchup

6 tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp dry mustard

dash of hot sauce

dash of worchstershire

(the last 2 ingredients is to tase)

I make one batch to cook mealoaf with and extra batch for the side because my husband loves it!

My mother gave the recipe to her sister.  She's 75 and never made meatloaf and my Mom said that my aunt said both her and her husband loved it.

Respected Contributor

My favorite Meatloaf:

First, dice onion, green and red pepper.  I use about half of each one.  Slowly saute them until soft.  I find that they don't cook enough in the meatloaf and it tastes better.

Let that cool.  Then add to:

1 1/2 lb hamburger

1 beaten egg

1/4 cup fine bread crumbs  I put one slice of bread in my blender

1/8 cup milk

2 tsp worchestershire sauce

1/2 t oregano

1 tsp basil

1 tsp season salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 cup chili sauce

I substitute Italian seasoning for the oregano and basil

Smoosh it all together and bake at 350 until it's 2/3 of the way done.  Then I take it out and drain the grease.  The add the topping and continue baking until done.

Topping:

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp cider vinegar

Respected Contributor

My GD and I were just discussing recipes this afternoon.  She said that this meatloaf was to die for and she could have just eaten the sauce with a spoon.

https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/mama-mia-meatloaves-5e502790fe349e23855a800d

The beef concentrate translates to 1/4 cup beef broth.

Super Contributor

I just made meatloaf tonight!  I think mine is pretty awesome!

I get a 1 1/2 lb of ground chuck & pork combo.  Then I add 2 eggs, 1/2 c minced onion, 3/4c of grated carrots, 1/2 c Italian bread crumbs, 1 teas. ground sage, 1 teas. oregano, kosher salt & black pepper (to your own liking.). I mix this all together and form a loaf.  Now here's the important thing!  Use a pressure cooker!  I use a 6 qt size and use the rack, inside.  Put 1 1/2 c of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker,place the meatloaf in and peel and slice whole carrots and cut up potatoes (I keep the skins on the potatoes).  I arrange the sliced carrots and potatoes around the meatloaf. Then I mix a simple topping for the meatloaf.  I use 1/2 c brown sugar and mix in some catsup. You don't want too much,  just enough totop the meatloaf.  Slice a green pepper, length-wise and arrange the strips on top of the sauce-covered meatloaf. Once the pressure cooker starts jiggling, turn stove down until it maintains a slow jiggle and timefor 45 minutes.  After that time, turn stove off and let the pressure drop on it's own.  I'm telling you, you will not believe what a wonderful aroma will be coming from your kitchen.  And the leftovers make the best sandwichesthe nextday!

Trusted Contributor
I am soooo hungry now! I love meatloaf and you all have posted some yummy recipes!😄😄
Frequent Contributor

I just made this tonite. M whole family loves it:

Meatloaf

Ingredients

1.5 lb pound ground beef

3/4 c crushed crackers or breadcrumbs

1 onion chopped

1 c milk

1 green pepper chopped

1 egg

salt/pepper to taste

Sauce

3t red wine vinegar

2T sugar

2T worchestershire sauce

1 c catsup

1/2 c water

Mix meat ingredients.  Place in casserole dish.  Bake uncovered 1 hr at 350.  Spoon off grease.  Mix sauce incredients.  Pour over meatloaf.  Bake another 20-30 mins til bubbly.  Cool, slice, serve with mashed potatoes, salad.

Honored Contributor

I'm a southern girl (GA) and my family's favorite meatloaf is from 'Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House', "an American legend" in Lynchburg, TN.

Boarding House Meatloaf

1 & 1/2 lbs ground chuck (or your preference)

3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal

1/4 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup chopped bel lpeper

1/4 cup catsup

2 eggs beaten

Combine all ingredients, form in a loaf.

Place in greased 9x3 loaf pan.

Cook at 350 degrees approx. 1 hour or use meat thermometer.

Place on platter, cover in meat loaf sauce.

Meat Loaf Sauce

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 TBS. chopped onion

2 TBS. bell pepper

In small saucepan, bring to a simmer till onion and bell pepper are tender.

***NOTE***

I like to put some sauce on the meatloaf 1/2 way thru baking, then a little more on the slices at serving or serve extra sauce on the side.

DH hated meatloaf....until this one, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I need a good meatloaf recipie.i am a fan of green peppers and onions in this dish,but never get that great of taste

@Luvsmyfam   I take the easy way out and when seasoning the meat, add a jar of salsa...onions, green peppers are included w/o any fuss. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of different recipes here. Thanks ladies. I am going to pass along some of these to my husband who does 95% of the cooking......lots of great ideas!