Respected Contributor

I may not be in the right place for this, but I'm saddened by the amount of snarky posts and/or replies I have been seeing on various Forums. We have just witnessed the slaughter of 19 children in one community, and the killing goes on. People are dying from Covid (yes, still!...my daughter is vaxed and boosted and still got seriously ill with Covid recently), and prices are out of sight. Isn't there enough misery in the world? 
My father was dying and I convinced my mother she needed to get out and get something to eat. I could see how the short outing to get nutrition was helping her. An old woman came up to our table and made a rude comment because my mother sent her spinach salad back. No scene, no raised voice, she simply explained the salad still had grit in it and was inedible. What that woman did to my mother's spirits was criminal.

My point is, we never know what another person may be going through. If someone makes a comment that someone doesn't like, or agree with, what's the big deal? Unless the host is related to "you" or "you" made the product in question, politely disagree and move on. There really are more important things to do and say than to berate someone over liking a host or product. One of my favorite sayings is, "Never underestimate the power of kindness". Another saying worth remembering is, "What goes around, comes around". So true.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens    I personally think most on here are very nice.  People are not thinking about the things going on in the world.  You can't expect people to be different, because of things going wrong in the world.  These boards are for different opinions.  We will never agree with everything any poster says.  The internet is a wicked place, but this board is one of the best I have been on.   Like I said most people are very nice on here.  

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens 

First off, I want to say that I am very sorry about your father.  And it saddened me that your mother had the experience that she did when she went out for a little meal to try to get her mind off of things.  Yes, it is sad that some people find it necessary to be rude or nasty when there is really no call for it.  As for the covid situation, yes, this is so true.  I hope your daughter is all better from it now.  I, myself, was fully vaccinated as well and got covid and have been very sick.  I finally tested negative but still m not feeling that great.  When I get in a situation where I am around people who are very negative or mean or nasty, I just thank my lucky stars and am very grateful that I don't have these people in my family or in my every day life that I have to deal with all the time!  I think --- oh, their poor families, friends and/or co-workers!  I agree with you when you say, you never know what another person is, or may, be going through. Having empathy is a very powerful thing and goes a long way.  Blessings!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Mean postings

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Imadickens 

First off, I want to say that I am very sorry about your father.  And it saddened me that your mother had the experience that she did when she went out for a little meal to try to get her mind off of things.  Yes, it is sad that some people find it necessary to be rude or nasty when there is really no call for it.  As for the covid situation, yes, this is so true.  I hope your daughter is all better from it now.  I, myself, was fully vaccinated as well and got covid and have been very sick.  I finally tested negative but still m not feeling that great.  When I get in a situation where I am around people who are very negative or mean or nasty, I just thank my lucky stars and am very grateful that I don't have these people in my family or in my every day life that I have to deal with all the time!  I think --- oh, their poor families, friends and/or co-workers!  I agree with you when you say, you never know what another person is, or may, be going through. Having empathy is a very powerful thing and goes a long way.  Blessings!  

Well said, and @Imadickens I too felt so sad thinking of that instance with your mom, for the same reasons @AngelPuppy1 stated. You just never know what someone is dealing with, and I'm sorry her attempt to get out and get a little reprieve wound up making her feel bad. I hope she feels more compassion out there from other sources, and I'm sorry about your dad.

I just don't engage with the negative, but sometimes it does take me aback how someone will jump down someone's throat...to me, it always says much more about them than whatever they are criticizing. Of course, everyone's entitled to say whatever, I guess...but not what I come here for so I just keep moving on.

I'm thankful I don't have the same need to be angry or negative, and hopefully they get to a better place too.

Not trying to be all high and mighty about it...just saying how I feel. I mean, I can't say I've never ever made fun of a host...there were some, in the past that used to drive me nuts...but I quit doing that a long time ago, for the most part. I thought to myself at one point, why? Ironically, I follow one of these hosts now on Instagram, think differently now and have had pleasant exchanges with this person. Live. Learn. Check myself! 

But as for "fighting" with people I don't even know here? No...not for me. 

I once heard a priest use this term when speaking about some of the negative, hate, bad things happening in the world...that even more so we need to "double down on love." Focus there. 

I hope your mom feels the love & support of good people around her.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mean postings

[ Edited ]

Maybe you should have told that old woman to mind her own business - or worse.  People that rude need to be told off.  

Yes there are many terrible things going on in the world today.  But the everyday annoying things are still there and people like to vent - it's good to vent and very normal.    And that doesn't make people "mean."  It's just human nature.  

When something - even minor - is irritating and ongoing and bothers a lot of people what's wrong with talking about it here?

Some people just can't take being disagreed with - a different opinion to them is "mean."

Furthermore isn't berating others for using these boards to vent rather "mean" as well?

Honored Contributor

A couple of thoughts.

People need thick skin to post on any forum. If not, stay away from forums, social media, etc.

Don't let some anonymous stranger get under your skin. It only bothers you, not them.

Don't read more into a post than is there. Someone may think a reply is snarky when it really isn't. Some people are very direct, others mush up their responses.

Different opinions are not snark. If a person wants only replies that agree, they need to find a closed group that thinks like they do.

Yes, a few posters here are snarky but the vast majority are sincere.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens   I've noticed Covid and recent crime has changed many people. They are anxious, afraid, short tempered and sometimes are without thinking before speaking.

Most of the time, I just go on and ignore them...especially here where snarky remarks from posters are just seeking attention. I do not reply.

Honored Contributor

Be kind to others

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we all can use kindness in our lives.  I feel for the OP but we have to remember there are a lot of different personalities that come together on here.  Of course we will not all agree on many topics and I know some posters get really crazed at times but I agree with many that most people on here on nice, helpful and even funny!    I come here to chat and learn from others, I am guilty of responding a few times when I felt "attacked" but you have to move on when someone is being snarky.  I do make that effort.  I take it most times as maybe they are not happy people in general or just having a bad day.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

You're only responsible for YOUR words and actions. You can't always help what someone else thinks of you or what someone else says. You can control how you react to that person.