Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe they should lower the host's salary instead of..

Prices had to go up, revenues had to increase with S&H/returns. How could they afford the new Q Plus network & sales.

Esteemed Contributor

Did any of you ever take a basic Business/Accounting Course in high school?

Super Contributor

Since that's not likely to happen ... maybe you should look for a place to shop that sells things within your price range.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Johnnyeager said:

Did any of you ever take a basic Business/Accounting Course in high school?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Alter Ego said:
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/9/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/9/2015 RedHeadedWench said: Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from QVC. Perhaps if sales went down, the prices would follow. Cutting host's salaries isn't going to do anything. QVC makes that amount if money by selling one product at times. Do the math.

THIS is the key if you truly want/hope to see lower prices!

Exactly.

Adding my agreement. For those who have posted who have had their pay cut, they are in industries that likely needed to do that to survive. I also don't agree with the OPs comment that "everyone" is struggling and having a hard time. As somebody posted, QVC is doing very well and there is no reason for them (yet) to lower prices or cut salaries.

Well I'm glad to see that some people "get it".

QVC sells items all over the world...they can make one host's salary in one airing of a product. To be simple...if they sell 50,000 units of the TSV today..the Laura Geller set...that brings in $3,000,000.00. That's one product out of the hundred or so they show in a day.

Sure, Laura gets her cut, YOU pay the sales tax and the shipping, then they pay salaries, warehouse costs, packaging, yadda yadda. And I'm here to tell ya, that set cost them about $8 each to produce...maybe.

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 lldaisy said:
On 4/8/2015 Pook said:

How would you feel if the place you worked did that to you??? They were hired at a certain salary and fair is fair that is what they should get regardless of what anyone thinks. We all would like such great paying jobs and we could go after them also if we had the right skills to get hired. Smacks a bit of jealously. I want lower prices so cut the workers salaries!!!

Actually it did happen to us, My husband had a great job for over 20 years with insurance, when the economy went down he had to take a big pay cut and ending up losing his job. He has found another one, less then half of what he made and we have no insurance, and almost lost our home. No I am not jealous, but things are not the same today, everyone is making less because of the economy. I was simply noticing that Q has raised all the prices on everything, and what I see and read here about the hosts, it doesn't seem fair to everyone.

Ummmm Obamacare?
Frequent Contributor

The bragging by some of the hosts about their second homes and vacations are not good marketing tools, imo. Solution, shop other places, most of their products and much greater variety with free shipping,are found on thousands of other sites, esp Amazon! Still, every now and then, there are some nice buys at QVC.
Super Contributor

heres an idea ... stop using 2 hosts for 1 show and then you would need less host's and therefore less salaries being paid out.... Just a theory..., I mean I really dont need a cheering section when I go to shop for clothes {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Trusted Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Sooner said:
On 4/8/2015 ECBG said:
On 4/8/2015 Sooner said:

Look at any real store and think about how much they pay in salaries for the sales staff, office staff, cleaning staff, stock room people, etc. etc. They spend a heck of a lot more than QVC does on salaries I'll bet. I mean really how many people could it take to run that operation? Think about the chain stores across the country and the rent, labor, utility bills, etc. etc. that they have to shell out money for.

I can tell you that most chain stores hourly pay isn't above $12.00 an hour and that's a very GOOD rate. Many positions are at minimum wage unless they have put in the years. Most women have an almost impossible time unless they have someone to share expenses with as in being married or having a roommate of some type.

Pay has always revolved around education and many in the normal B & M stores are housewives who have gone back after rearing children or because of other circumstances that require additional funds.

But look at the volume QVC sells with ONE person in "sales." THAT is amazing. No wonder they are worth big bucks. No stores all over the country to run, basically a small crew, one in sales, and warhorses cranking out the goods. The profit margin has to be huge.

QVC runs a tv station. They've got producers, content developers, segment writers, etc... etc... They also employ business analysts, legal, hr, a HUGE order taking operation and customer service operation... People have to manage inventory -- also a HUGE operation tracking and pulling and managing a very large inventory. It's very naive to think they have only one person in sales.

Trusted Contributor

Prices are set based on what the market will pay -- with a standard mark-up of at least 100% (double the cost of an item to the company) depending on the product category.

The host salaries are also set by the market. You've got to find someone who can speak well in public and be on their toes at all times. They've got to be able to absorb a tremendous amount of information and transform it into compelling bites to entice people to buy. I always get a kick out of people on these forums who think a host job is so easy and anyone can do it. If that was the case, the pay wouldn't be so good. It's a hard fast-paced demanding job. They do all kinds of prep behind the scenes too.