Respected Contributor

Re: Maybe they should lower the host's salary instead of..

I have heard people say they should not go to Italy and other things to decrease costs.

The hosts are the FACE of QVC, so they are not going to lower their salaries.

My dad used to say "the one place you are paid what you are worth is in sales." He had his own insurance business, and I get what he meant.

I don't think hosts are paid commission, but the company knows how they sell.

The only thing that would get their attention is if people aren't buying.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 4/9/2015 wmsbgshopper said: "What the heck is happening to QVC." Someone asked. Well QVC is doing great! 8.8 BILLION dollars in sales in 2014, up almost 8%. So to answer, A LOT of people are very happy with QVC. Critics on this site are a tiny % of customers.

I am going to disagree with the last part of your statement - sort of.

I think even though the NUMBER of customers aren't on the board, the ones that are are representative of many others.

Just like people in the past who wrote letters to a company. One letter may represent a HUNDRED or more who didn't write.

These boards are here for a reason to this company.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

On 4/9/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/9/2015 RedHeadedWench said: Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from QVC. Perhaps if sales went down, the prices would follow. Cutting host's salaries isn't going to do anything. QVC makes that amount if money by selling one product at times. Do the math.

THIS is the key if you truly want/hope to see lower prices!

Exactly.

Esteemed Contributor

This is one of the silliest hypotheses I've read here. It's like saying all executives should take a pay cut to give shareholders a higher dividend, or all bank executives should take a pay cut so we can get a higher interest rate on our checking accounts.

It just does not work like that in the real world.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 stray770 said: The prices and host's salaries have no correlation....they are hired for a job at a certain rate; they do their jobs and they get paid....the increase in prices are due to the across the board increase in the cost of living in the Country and world. QVC stock and sales are fine. My raises were bypassed for three years due to the economy and often a Company does what It can to retain employees rather than fire them....I am sorry for your financial hardship but another person should not lose his/her job because of any viewers financial problems or opinion about prices. Maybe I wouldn't be spending any money on QVC at all if the situation were mine.

Very well stated ....... Contrary to what most people here believe, the host job is both mentally and physically exhausting .... and they earn their money. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

People need to make adjustments because prices will always go up ...... a lot of the QVC sales are impulse purchases if the comments on these message boards are any indicator. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

Almost all the hosts have their Bachelors degrees in Journalism or Communications, and have 10+ years experience being on air either on tv or radio, in large cities like LA before coming to the Q. Some have their Masters degree. I wouldn't even apply for a job as host if it did not pay at least 75K per year to start if I had that kind of experience.{#emotions_dlg.crying} Think about that the next time you bash a host.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/9/2015 OOMPALOOMPA said:
On 4/9/2015 missy1 said:
On 4/8/2015 OOMPALOOMPA said:

Don't believe the rumors about what the on air reps make. The starting salary is around $65k a year. The senior "hosts" can make middle six figures but that is the exception.

They start off, at more that that.

Actually they start at 65 to 75 and I know this for a fact

They make $300,000 plus to start. I know this for a fact.
Esteemed Contributor

""Just a thought??"" Just a 'green monster' thought is more like it. Be happy for others and happiness will come your way. Host salaries and prices of items are totally unrelated.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

QVC employs about 17,000 people. Why would reducing the salaries of a tiny percentage of their workforce make any difference in prices?

Trusted Contributor

The sad part is the hosts dont even do their job well! They are selling items that the consumer is trying to purchase with the hope that the person is giving them the best, accurate description instead they act like they are movie stars. If they did their job correctly, qvc would have fewer refunds, and we would finally get what we pay for.