New Contributor

I just have to say that I really like Mary.  I think she is sweet and enjoyable to watch.  But, WHY in the world is she stepping in for David on a food show when she can't eat most of the items???  I know that many other hosts have filled David's shoes when he's out, and I find it hard to believe that the only person they could find for a food-intensive show is the one person who won't eat most of it.  I just find it so distracting.  All I'm hearing is how good everything looks and how jealous she is that she can't eat it.  UGH!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mary on ITKWD

[ Edited ]

She tasted the steak, but her eyes dont say she loves it, lol.  

Frequent Contributor

I don't mind that she can't eat the food.  At least then I don't have to wonder whether she's serious about how good it tastes.  I've never heard a host claim the don't care for something.  Besides, anything that eliminates those stupid yum-yum faces and dances of David's is a plus in my book. And I like David.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a shame they seem to have mostly gluten containing foods this afternoon, and Mary can't taste anything. I feel self-conscious for the presenters. But then again, are we really going to buy a super expensive cheesecake or croissant based on what the host says after tasting?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am susre you know she cannot eat gluten, so many of the things she doesn't taste aren't gluten free.

For me, watching a food show where the host doesn't grab and gobble is pure pleasure.  The yum yum facs doesn't encourage me to buy. They are only done to encourage people who are impressed with that sort of thing to buy.  I can decide for myself by hearing about a product whether or not I want to purchase it. A dancing dude of 50 doesn't convince me that something would get my stamp of approval in any way.  In fact, it usually puts me on a fast track to the remote.

MORE MARY, PLEASE!!

Respected Contributor

Dancing Dude of Fifty..🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻. 🙋🏻 wherever you are!

Super Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

It is a shame they seem to have mostly gluten containing foods this afternoon, and Mary can't taste anything. I feel self-conscious for the presenters. But then again, are we really going to buy a super expensive cheesecake or croissant based on what the host says after tasting?

I totally agree! The vendors (esp the new ones) are not happy and you can see the awkwardness during the presentations. Just a very odd show today.
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Esteemed Contributor

I like Mary....she reminded me that if I am tempted to try a food item, I remember the people in my family with food allergies and I don't

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since all of us know any host will say the food is wonderful, I found it refreshing not having to watch a host gorge on TV.  David comes off as just wanting to eat as much free food as he can, tacky in my book!  I really don't like seeing him taking oversize bites on air!  He's suppose to be taking a taste, not eating his last meal!  It was also welcome break to actually be able to listen to information about the product without rude interruptions to say what flavors are offered,  or how many are left.  David comes off as he's just trying to exert control over the vendor in the way he does it.  I have seen times he was actually rude to the vendor doing that.  I also didn't miss hearing David sniff loudly in the background when he has to let someone else speak.  

Super Contributor
Please keep David and his mother in your prayers. She had a very bad fall last night and broke her arm. David rushed to be with her. 🙏🙏🙏
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.