Respected Contributor

Re: Mary Nelson on Vacation?

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Discussing a host's voice is not "trashing" them and certainly violates no rules, as it is a valid, legitimate observation, particularly if it dissuades a sale.

As a professional "performer" on television, a visual and auditory medium, a host should be prepared for such commentary, as should his/her fan base.

For people that work on television and speak for a living, it seems to me that one of the qualities needed would be a pleasant speaking voice with no bad habits t by at annoy the viewers.  If I am the viewer and I change the channel, then I'm not shopping.  QVC has quite a few hosts and vendors than have horrible voices and habits that I just cannot watch.  I've also noticed a few new people on my local news channels that have annoying, high pitched, little girl voices.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Discussing a host's voice is not "trashing" them and certainly violates no rules, as it is a valid, legitimate observation, particularly if it dissuades a sale.

As a professional "performer" on television, a visual and auditory medium, a host should be prepared for such commentary, as should his/her fan base.

For people that work on television and speak for a living, it seems to me that one of the qualities needed would be a pleasant speaking voice with no bad habits t by at annoy the viewers.  If I am the viewer and I change the channel, then I'm not shopping.  QVC has quite a few hosts and vendors than have horrible voices and habits that I just cannot watch.  I've also noticed a few new people on my local news channels that have annoying, high pitched, little girl voices.  

@MarthaStewardess @Johnnyeager.  I agree with this, however, we all have certain hosts that irritate us whether it be voice, mannerisms,dress,crazy talk,etc.

If we each made a list of annoying hosts one way or another, there would be none left. 

Contributor

I think it's called trashing when you keep repeating the same mean spirited comments over & over again. Just because you can (because of freedom of speach} doesen't make it right. 

How does it feel to make hurtful & personal comments about someone who can't even defend themselves. Must make you feel good or perhaps superior. I think it makes anyone who does look very small & insecurel 

Honored Contributor

@maxey.  Freedom of speech doesn't apply to these forums. But your opinion is ok as that is your opinion!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whenever there is a negative thread about a host I particularly like I never go in and berate the commenters; it's their opinion and so long as forum rules haven't been violated, they can have it.

I do, however, try to post something positive about that host, just to even things out, so to speak.  And I have liked some of the more unpopular and targeted hosts on these boards; Albany, Sharon, Courtney C.

Occasional Contributor

I really like Mary Nelson. She is down to earth and definitely I truly enjoy her hosting.  Her voice does not bother me in the least.  She is genuine and I wish she would be a host on   the regular Q channel.  Hate to say this but I have grown tired of some of the regulars who have to throw in their shows their many vacations they go on. Comes across as bragging to me. Want to see and hear more of Mary!!!