Trusted Contributor

Re: Mary DeAngelis is coming back on air 💜

@Teddixat thyroid cancer

Respected Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@Teddixat thyroid cancer

Awful news and so young too.  I hope her treatments dont debilitate her. 

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou

Agreed! She sounded so great and looks terrific. I, too, am happy she's back. She thanked all posters and contributors to social media for all the warm wishes and prayers. 💜
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@colleena wrote:

@Teddixat thyroid cancer

Though I'm not familiar with Mary's particular case, you don't always need additional treatments. I know because I had thyroid cancer many many years ago and fortunately was caught in an early stage so I needed only surgery.  Hopefully this is the case with Mary.

Respected Contributor

Anyone know how this cancer is caught or if there are symptoms ?  I have a  "low thyroid" and have to take a medicine called synthroid. My doctor never mentioned the possibility of cancer. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Anyone know how this cancer is caught or if there are symptoms ?  I have a  "low thyroid" and have to take a medicine called synthroid. My doctor never mentioned the possibility of cancer. 

@Reever   Hypothyroidism doesn't cause cancer.  I have hypothyroidism, too, and have taken medicine for it for about twenty-five years.  Here is what I found online about whether thyroid conditions can cause cancer.

"Having an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) or an underactive thyroidgland (hypothyroidism) doesn't increase your chances of developing thyroid cancer. Around 1 in 5 cases of thyroid cancer occur in people who've had a previous benign thyroid condition."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

So happy she seems to be doing well.  She is a natural.

Frequent Contributor

What happened to Mary?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@colleena wrote:

@Teddixat thyroid cancer

Though I'm not familiar with Mary's particular case, you don't always need additional treatments. I know because I had thyroid cancer many many years ago and fortunately was caught in an early stage so I needed only surgery.  Hopefully this is the case with Mary.

@KKJ - During her show today, Mary shared that the surgery went well and she will not need to undergo radiation treatments. She mentioned that the doctors told her she could lose her voice for up to three months, but it actually came back within 20 minutes. Smiley Happy  I'm glad things went well for you, too!