Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

When my girls were growing up I always told them to NEVER tell someone to 'shut up'.

However, since I'm now old (and live with just my cats) I find myself yelling that more and more to the TV.

My poor cats run for the hills because I'm yelling, "Please shut up so I can hear what they have to say".  (At least I say, "PLEASE"! ) 

I spend so much time trying to avoid the news I end up watching game shows and QVC and HSN.

What's my point?  Well, my point is I end up just as frustrated watching QVC and HSN because (for some reason) the people who are supposed to 'listen' feel they MUST get their bla bla in at the same time.

Who's fault is it?  I don't know!  Is it the fault of the host or is it the fault of the person TALKING INTO the ear of the host?

So, I'm wondering where do I go now?  I can't stand these people all talking at once....I can't stand the news (I don't care who's sleeping with who...if I did I'd watch trash shows.

Guess I'll get out some of the books I've been meaning to read but never got around to it.  Think of the money I'll save.......

@Annabellethecat66

You make excellent points ANNABELLE...I had to laugh that you yell at the TV and your cats head for the hills....I also talk to the TV and tell them to use their "inside voices" and my cats give me wierd looks, because they arent yowling...Cat LOL Cat LOL

I also get so tired of our National Enquirer news broadcasts these days, so I try to avoid all the loud yelling and screaming.(no one can debate calmly anymore or wait until the other person stops talking before they offer their opinion)....and QVC is just as bad (I dont really watch HSN)....but then even the Game Show Network they screech, squeal, and scream before they've even won anything!!!! Yep a good cozy mystery book, or some nice calm music is such a nice change of pace for me...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Manners....please!

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@CalminHeartwrote:

I agree with OP.  However, my guess is they are trying to amp up the enthusiasm for the product and doing what they are told.

@CalminHeart.  I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm sure they are doing exactly as they are told. It seems when the ramped up enthusiasm is displayed, sales go up. That is the bottom line for a company. 

@proudlyfromNJ @Deanie  @Mj12

It would be different if that hard sell and screeching and yelling worked, but it hasn't ....For 2017 for the USA division of QVC revenues remained flat (zero increase)....and they almost had a decline...so their scheme isnt working, and I'm tired of hearing,"it must beworking or they wouldnt be doing it"..... QVC doesnt work that way, despite decline quarter after quarter after quarter of electronic sales declines the Q continues to present them...........Execs arent making wise decisions....JMHO

Interesting that Zulilly that has no TV presence and I coudlnt tell ya when I saw a commercial for them, but silence must be golden when you let the product speak for itself because their sales increased 11%

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@CalminHeartwrote:

I agree with OP.  However, my guess is they are trying to amp up the enthusiasm for the product and doing what they are told.

@CalminHeart.  I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm sure they are doing exactly as they are told. It seems when the ramped up enthusiasm is displayed, sales go up. That is the bottom line for a company. 

It would be different if that hard sell and screeching and yelling worked, but it hasn't ....For 2017 for the USA division of QVC revenues remained flat (zero increase)....and they almost had a decline...so their scheme isnt working, and I'm tired of hear,"it must beworking or they wouldnt be doing it"..... QVC doesnt work that way, despite decline quarter after quarter after quarter of electronic sales declines the Q continues to present them...........Execs arent making wise decisions....JMHO

Interesting that Zulilly that has no TV presence and I coudlnt tell ya when I saw a commercial for them, but silence must be golden when you let the product speak for itself because their sales increased 11%

It could be that they are amping things up in desperation to increase sales to save their jobs.  

Valued Contributor
You are probably correct. Someone stated they watch the beginning of a presentation and then go online. I always read reviews. Honestly, why do they need hosts? I rarely watch QVC because their hosts are the worst at ramping it up. No watching means no buying
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeartwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@CalminHeartwrote:

It would be different if that hard sell and screeching and yelling worked, but it hasn't ....For 2017 for the USA division of QVC revenues remained flat (zero increase)....and they almost had a decline...so their scheme isnt working, and I'm tired of hear,"it must beworking or they wouldnt be doing it"..... QVC doesnt work that way, despite decline quarter after quarter after quarter of electronic sales declines the Q continues to present them...........Execs arent making wise decisions....JMHO

It could be that they are amping things up in desperation to increase sales to save their jobs.  

@CalminHeart

Yep, your probably right....the hosts maybe under pressure to perform....even the normally clam, cool, and pleasant Mary Beth has been at it with the hard sell lately...........

Honored Contributor

Re: Manners....please!

[ Edited ]

@AngelLove2wrote:
You are probably correct. Someone stated they watch the beginning of a presentation and then go online. I always read reviews. Honestly, why do they need hosts? I rarely watch QVC because their hosts are the worst at ramping it up. No watching means no buying

@AngelLove2

But what's sad there is very little product information online (mostly sales "fluff") and just some minimal basic info. And you find a lot of unanswered product questions.  And you cant always trust the reviews because some just like the vendor and just give it 5 stars...........Woman Frustrated

And those unanswered questions are things that should have been covered if the host and vendor provided sufficient details........

Honored Contributor

Manners are so 20th century.  I guess we all have to get on board.    Well, I won't.   I like manners too much.  It tells me who somebody is when they don't even have basic manners and treat others respectfully.

It's everywhere - shopping tv, news, talk shows - everybody overtalks and constantly interrupts.    I find it aggravating and I tune out because my ears have enough trouble hearing.

The part about the host interrupting when the vendor was just starting to give a tip - omg, I see that kind of thing so much and you just never get to hear 'the thing' they were going to say.   Beyond aggravating!

Contributor

I agree with all the opinions posted here and feel gratified that I am not alone in feeling annoyance and anxiety when watching certain show hosts.  I also believe that it is a ploy to make us feel an urgency to place an order...which we might later regret.  Returns are deliberatly prohibitive...so I guess in the end they feel they've won.  I watch the shows because I really hate going to the malls or other B&M venues.  Amazon is great but viewing an item on a real person, or seeing something demonstrated is helpful.  That's the way it SHOULD be.

Trusted Contributor

This is why I won't watch Susan Graver, or Amy.  When I see either of them, it's time to set a land speed record changing the channel.  Amy tries to by a stylist, and forgets to do the basic part of her job, inform viewers about the product.  Susan is just offensive to me, the way she talks over the host trying to give us needed information.

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@CalminHeartwrote:

HI @Spurt I do not follow these financial reports, I just always go back to thinking about Amazon, which for years has been far more focused on growth over profit (and has obviously worked very, very well for them).  JMO.