Super Contributor

Re: Manners, have we done away with them?

Pretty much. It's a shame, too. There are some of us that still use them.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@MandyG06 wrote:

Hosts have mentioned that the Producers of the show direct them where to stand, walk, etc. And, I don't interpret hosts walking in front of models as rude.

In television, you never walk in front of anyone.  You go behind.

You also never turn your back to the camera.

This is basic stuff.

Really?  Because I see it every day on other shows that have nothing to do with a shopping channel.  Someone needs to tell them.

I don't take what I see on QVC as an indicator of a decline in manners.

Yes, really.

This is Broadcasting 101 level stuff.

I've never worked in broadcasting at any level, so I only go by what I see on TV all the time.

Was your career in broadcasting?

(And I still don't see it as any indictment of declining manners.  Hosts, models, vendors on QVC are just generally walking around, talking to each other and the viewers, listening to the producer talking into their earpieces and trying to keep things on schedule.  I doubt they have any intention of being rude.)

Super Contributor

lynderae, I agree 100% about Martha. She does not have the correct personality for TV; she is hard, rude, and a total snob. JMHO
Super Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@MandyG06 wrote:

Hosts have mentioned that the Producers of the show direct them where to stand, walk, etc. And, I don't interpret hosts walking in front of models as rude.

In television, you never walk in front of anyone.  You go behind.

You also never turn your back to the camera.

This is basic stuff.

Spot-On Alarmclock!

Honored Contributor

@QVCalm @I th8nk Martha is lightening up.She can be fun and funny.She is a very hard worker and probably expects that from others too but I wouldn’t describe her as hard.She might be a snob..I havent noticed.

Honored Contributor

I think because Martha is older and has so much experience she is compelled to set people straight. I think she could be more subtle about it, but that's not Martha and besides I have a feeling she thinks she's better than the average bear.LOL I have bought a few of her garden items, it doesn't bother me that she is no doubt making a fortune at the Q even though I don't care for her personally.

Contributor

More than the walking in front of others, the “bad manners” that gets to me is the open mouth chewing during a cooking or gourmet demo.  I have seen David (as he does many of these shows) put food into his mouth and either talk with his mouth still full of food, or chewing with the food in his mouth entirely visible.  Same stuff that you would correct if it were your child at the dinner table.  I turn the channel once I see that on Q.