Esteemed Contributor

Re: Male Hosts doing Womens fashion!

Bill Lewis used to do fashion shows on HSN.  He was quite good.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer female hosts during fashion shows.  The male designers are usually paired with female hosts, so that works for me because there is balance.

It's a major turn off for me when the male host tries on/models the women's garments.  That's happened in the past so I stopped tuning in when he's hosting fashion. 

Super Contributor

I hope he finds his niche soon.

Honored Contributor

Well I see my post got the axe--sorry mods---- will try again.

So I was saying that years ago on H*S*N, Bill Green was doing a fashion show and he was presenting ladies under garments for the lower half of the body and was describing the "stay dry " panel  and all the time he was  showing  how ....soft... it was. Until he realized what he was doing and very quickly moved on---I really laughed; I'm sure it was completely unintentional on his part, just what guy can really talk about that type of thing---he was on by himself, no designer or vendor with him , kind of left in the unknown.

Then on the Q, years ago too,  Bob Bowersox and Dan  Wheeler hosted a show about what guys want for women---or something like that. Anyway they had an epilator on and Bob was showing it and talking about how it could be used for the bikini area too---oh my gosh--I fell out of me chair with laughter------he was clearly embarrassed and that show was never seen again------

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

Have never seen David, Rick or Dan hosting women's fashion segments, but have noticed several times Alberti doing womens fashion on either Q1 or Q2.  Anyone else noticed him doing womens fashions; would much prefer to see him doing home-style shows, he is great at home style/design....

I prefer female hosts.  I enjoy Bill Green on HSN he does a good job with jewelry presentations, I would watch him do clothing, I use to watch Alberti sometime but I don't watch Q enough to see him. I do not enjoy Rick presenting jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I prefer female hosts during fashion shows.  The male designers are usually paired with female hosts, so that works for me because there is balance.

It's a major turn off for me when the male host tries on/models the women's garments.  That's happened in the past so I stopped tuning in when he's hosting fashion. 

@wildcat fan- Has there really been a show where the male host models women's garmets?  I can't imagine QVC letting the male hosts wear female clothing....I guess it's possible, but I've never seen it....quite interesting.

Respected Contributor

When Alberti is doing Beauty segments, it's a turn off to me.  There are plenty of lady hosts to pair up with Sandra.   A lady host selling tools would be an example of choosing a certain gender to rep a product that viewers will believe.

Respected Contributor

Brian Kessler on Evine has hosted a few fashion shows and he's great. He said he studied textiles in college during one of the segments so he's not clearly clueless about clothes. He was paired with vendor Becky Wright and they worked well together. If female hosts can present items geared towards men, like sports memorabilia, then guys can do fashion and beauty IMHO.

Respected Contributor

This puzzles me. Many of the designers on QVC are men and no one seems to take issue with that. If women can accept a designer creating garments he's never worn, why take issue with Alberti selling a blouse? Alberti may not be a designer, but he's a stylish and observant man who understands classics as well as trends. Why wouldn't he present fashion? 

I don't have any issues with him presenting beauty items, either. A lot of it is skincare and Alberti has skin. He's on HDTV screens, so he has to pay extra attention to his skin and makeup - because any man on camera also has to wear makeup. Is there anyone who is going to find skincare more relevant or important than someone who spends his career looking directly into an HD camera? Any of the QVC hosts should be qualified to present skincare and basic foundation makeup.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

This puzzles me. Many of the designers on QVC are men and no one seems to take issue with that. If women can accept a designer creating garments he's never worn, why take issue with Alberti selling a blouse? Alberti may not be a designer, but he's a stylish and observant man who understands classics as well as trends. Why wouldn't he present fashion? 

I don't have any issues with him presenting beauty items, either. A lot of it is skincare and Alberti has skin. He's on HDTV screens, so he has to pay extra attention to his skin and makeup - because any man on camera also has to wear makeup. Is there anyone who is going to find skincare more relevant or important than someone who spends his career looking directly into an HD camera? Any of the QVC hosts should be qualified to present skincare and basic foundation makeup.

@Alison Wonderland  100%.