Regular Contributor

Re: Male Hosts doing Womens fashion!

I think Alberti does a great job whatever it is he is selling.  Actually he is my favorite host.  I especially like him selling makeup because he isn't annoying and doesn't get giggly.

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

@wagirl 

@Alison Wonderland

@dooBdoo

Wagirl mentioned a male host discussing "bust darts" etc. (and other personal areas of women's wear).  For me being a senior, modesty is what I am talking about.  I do not want a man talking about maxi pads.  When I watched Alberti sell clothes one evening, it just seemed odd, albeit he is educated and informative, that is not what we are trying to convey.   For me, it's the same as men attending baby showers, I don't want them there.

@seaBreeze

Another thing to consider is male designers presenting women's clothes:  Bob Mackie, Louis Dell'Olio, Isaac Mizrahi, Dennis Basso, etc., etc.  I guess it's just a matter of how we look at things.

Honored Contributor

There are some fantastic designers who are men and can sell, design, much better than a woman.  I don't care about gender in a salesperson as long as they know the products.  One exception is SG and I refuse to watch her.

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

@wagirl 

@Alison Wonderland

@dooBdoo

Wagirl mentioned a male host discussing "bust darts" etc. (and other personal areas of women's wear).  For me being a senior, modesty is what I am talking about.  I do not want a man talking about maxi pads.  When I watched Alberti sell clothes one evening, it just seemed odd, albeit he is educated and informative, that is not what we are trying to convey.   For me, it's the same as men attending baby showers, I don't want them there.

Do you wear clothing designed by men? Male designers use bust darts and I've heard Isaac and others talk about them. I don't have any issue with a male host talking about the construction of clothing just like I have no issues with male designers featuring things like bust darts. It's their job and they are always professional. None of them are giggling about bust darts.

As long as the man talking about bust darts isn't touching mine, I have no issues with a man talking about the construction of clothing.

New Contributor

Dan gets weird about stuff like pink computers for men. 🙄 Keep him away from women's stuff, please!

Frequent Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Alberti fits right in with the fashion shows and IMO does a fabulous job, better than some of the women hosts. We just are not used to a male host being so good and comfortable at presenting female fashion and accessories.

It can cut both ways: Some women look at other women competitively while some women see other women as understanding them better. 

Honored Contributor

Alberti is a friendly well prepared host but I don't like men doing women's fashion or makeup.  Most of them, I feel, can't relate to the specific needs a woman might have,

The women hosts (and models for example)  can wear something that I might think would look good on me because we have similarities in body shape.  That is such a big help to me.  Also, I love to see what lipsticks and blush look like on the cheeks and lips.  The more women I see with color on means ...most likely....one of them will be similar in coloring to myself.  That I find helpful, too.    Nothing against the guys!  

Esteemed Contributor

I assume that if a male were to host a fashion or make-up show there would still be female models to wear and/or demonstrate the product, right?  I don't think that he would be on the set all by himself.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer women selling women's clothing.  Leah is the best, hands down.

I remember one time (eons ago) Dan Hughes got stuck doing a Breezies show.  Poor guy.

Frequent Contributor

Yes  I did see that presentation with Paul D.  When Dan Wheeler was at QVC he had to pitch hit for .one of the girls presenting clothing.  He struggled a bit but got through it just fine..Had a few laughs but in good taste...Of course the guys can sell women clothing.  Alberti I just love.....Bring him back to Q1....:-)