Frequent Contributor

Made me laugh, or wait maybe cringe...

I was just popping through the channels and landed on QVC2, Denim & Co show. Showing an empire waisted dress. I know this has been going on for a couple of years now, but how in the world did they get the pronunciation of ahm-pier??  I wore this waist linge back in the 70's, it was Empire as in Empire State Building!

I also had to laugh that they suggested wearing this dress to garden in! Really??? Who is going to wear a $50 dress to do gardening in.

My oh my!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Made me laugh, or wait maybe cringe...

I believe the ones that will garden in the dress will be sending the $50.00+ gifts to the hairdresser, postman, and everyone else for Christmas!!!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

I believe that is the French pronunciation, they are just being fancy. I don't think I could garden in any dress, regardless of price.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Who gardens in a dress?  The restriction of trying to bend, stoop and crawl, lift and manuever around a garden to peform tasks wearing a dress makes that pitch ridiculous.  I suppose if one is only watering plants on a balcony a dress is fine.  

Honored Contributor

For me this is a definite,

Image result for lol animated images

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I believe that is the French pronunciation, they are just being fancy. I don't think I could garden in any dress, regardless of price.

So when you bend over is it

I see London, I see France, I see someone's underpants.............

Honored Contributor

I have almost always pronounced it "ahm-pier".  Guess I heard it that way, as pertains to the waist line, and it just stuck!

Trusted Contributor

It has been pronounced the French way for many, many years.  Only recently has anyone said" empire".

Honored Contributor

First time I've heard someone ridiculed for using the correct pronunciation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Magny wrote:

It has been pronounced the French way for many, many years.  Only recently has anyone said" empire".

I've heard both pronunciations since I was a teenager, "empire" much more often than the French pronunication.  It's most definitely not something that has just started recently.

I wouldn't wear a dress to garden.  I think maybe my grandmother did a very long time ago, but I find it pretty unlikely that most women would do that now.