Valued Contributor

Whenever I buy an item from Amazon to be shipped to another person, they make me verify the number of the credit card I use, and if it's a different one I have to fill out online all the usual information.

I am happy to do this because it means they are on top of things.

In fairness to the Q, I always receive a confirmation email from them whenever I order something from them, so I would catch it right away if my card were hacked.

Honored Contributor

You have to be diligent these days on ALL your cards....one of my cards got hacked and it was on Amazon so be careful of their 3rd party vendors it's not just QVC.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

So, let me get this straight. They are admitting they had a security breach and people got into accounts here? To me, that's something that should be reported to authorities, like the Target breach last year. I got snagged on that one and got a new debit card from my bank, just in case. No one had tried to use my card number though.

If QVC had a breach, which is what it is, not really a "hack" but something really worse, they should notify all their customers, as Target did.

Contributor
On 8/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Sheesh ...... WHY is QVC so nonchalant about this?

maybe it was an employee of the q

Contributor

You would really think that sending four computers to one place would trigger something or other. When I order oddly, out of my usual spending habits, my CCs call me to verify it, especially when I order or buy on vacation or am having it sent somewhere. I'd say a Ship To/Bill To for four computers would trigger some sort of verification.

Respected Contributor
On 8/29/2014 Angelbear said:

You would really think that sending four computers to one place would trigger something or other. When I order oddly, out of my usual spending habits, my CCs call me to verify it, especially when I order or buy on vacation or am having it sent somewhere. I'd say a Ship To/Bill To for four computers would trigger some sort of verification.

Same here. My bank is really aggressive about monitoring their credit card purchases.

As someone else said, it's really doubtful that just one account was accessed. Whether it was their entire system compromised or just individual accounts, QVC is targeted. They seem proud of themselves for implementing passwords over 4 digit PINS for access, and yet they only allow alpha-numeric, no special characters. Why on earth implement a less than current technology and recommendations for passwords? Passwords should require Upper case, lower case, numeric AND SPECIAL CHARACTERS.

I've been a QVC customer since day one, but now I have serious doubts about their services and their priorities of protecting their customers. The QVC finance person I talked to seemed to not care if I ever bought from QVC again.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry this happened to you and am very concerned, as we all should be.

I apologize if I misunderstood what seems to have taken place. It seems to me that they definitely got into your qvc.com purchasing account, and not just your Q card information, wherever it is stored out there. From re-reading reply #7, it sounds like the finance lady knows it, too. I'm sure your password was not any less secure than any of ours, considering that we don't have much to choose from when picking a password (no special characters, etc.) and this is a big deal.

Thank you for the heads up on this matter. I will be diligently checking both my qvc account and my major CC account. I do not have a Q card.

Honored Contributor
On 8/30/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 8/29/2014 Angelbear said:

Same here. My bank is really aggressive about monitoring their credit card purchases.

As someone else said, it's really doubtful that just one account was accessed. Whether it was their entire system compromised or just individual accounts, QVC is targeted. They seem proud of themselves for implementing passwords over 4 digit PINS for access, and yet they only allow alpha-numeric, no special characters. Why on earth implement a less than current technology and recommendations for passwords? Passwords should require Upper case, lower case, numeric AND SPECIAL CHARACTERS.

I've been a QVC customer since day one, but now I have serious doubts about their services and their priorities of protecting their customers. The QVC finance person I talked to seemed to not care if I ever bought from QVC again.

Sadly, that sort of seeming arrogance seems pervasive here. I've almost always found most of the CS folks to be appreciative and at least trying to be helpful, but my few contacts with "corporate" have tended to be less so. The overall corporate tone seems to be one that thinks customers are easily replaced or are otherwise expendable and that all those 'new' customers they're always crowing about will be returning to the trough over and over... And frankly, I'm also with you on that 'update to Outlook' explanation for the website crash. I can't quite figure out what their email functionality had to do with it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

What happened to QVC putting their customers first, and protecting their privacy, ID's , protecting their accounts, and making sure they feel safe using their accounts and website? This isn't the first time this year it has been hacked.

Therefore, I believe they must tighten all of their security methods, regardless of the cost.

Otherwise, they may loose credit cards purchasers, like me.

Contributor
This same thing happened to me yesterday. I DO have the address in Oviedo, FL, where the merchandise would have been delivered. Did you file a police report? I am considering it now that I have this information that it happened to you too.