Respected Contributor

I usually check out the Lunchtime and Primetime specials.  There have been 2 items there for quite some time.  I have seen this happen before.  I have checked out Clearance jewelry and have seen this happen.  I notice HSN will eventually lower the price if it doesn't sell at the first clearance price.

If they would lower the price even more, they might SELL them.  I would think that is a  signal that the price STILL isn't low enough to sell them.  And I didn't go to school for marketing!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

And the crazy thing is that, sometimes with a Lunchtime Special, if there's any left, they raise the price dramatically.  I've seen a top go from around $15 as a LTS, to nearly $35 on "clearance" later that night.  That's just plain crazy; not everyone can be shopping online during the day.

Are we going to buy something at a higher price?  How do they think that works?

There was a specific item I was interested it, but missed it, when it was a LTS with free S&H.  That night, I looked and the price was higher and the free S&H had disappeared.  No sale!

Respected Contributor

It was my understanding that the LTS was a low price for a short window of time each day, and the price would go up after the LTS hours were up. So I expect to see a higher price once the lunch time is over. It would make more sense to me to simply slash the price and get rid of the inventory rather then mess around with multiple pricing schemes.

Frequent Contributor

I've noticed the same Lisa Rinna top for about a month.  Same price every day.  You would think they would lower it to get rid of it.  QVC must not include the cost of warehouse storage in their merchandise cost, otherwise they would clear out the items quicker.  How many years did they try to get rid of Bruce M handbags after he left?  It had to be more than 5 years.  It had to cost a lot of money to store that stuff for that long.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia QVC thinks we are too dumb to notice! I have several things on my wish list, in which the price is constantly changing. It will go down, then back up with free shipping. The price always seems to equal to the same or higher. I won't fall for their tricks. I usually end up deleting it from my list.

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight- Yes, I've watched the prices on things in my wishlist go up and down; all over the place.  If they go down to a price I'm happy to pay, I'll buy the item.

But I've also deleted items, when I've gotten fed up with them going up by a ridiculous amount.  You know they're eventually going to lower the price again, but why waste all that time, when they could just clear their warehouses sooner.

I honestly do not know any other retailer (online or B&M) that plays these pricing games.

Respected Contributor

Every single retailer, online or storefront, I shop with plays pricing games.  It just boils down to me paying what I think the item is worth.  Certainly makes me a better shopper to comparison shop.

Valued Contributor

I think leftover items are sent to QVC's outlets. I visited two of their outlet stores last year and saw a lot of leftover Primetime and Lunchtime Specials. Both stores were packed, so they do a big business of moving out the leftover merchandise via their outlet stores. I agree with OP though. It would be nice if they gave the rest of us a chance to buy before sending off to outlets.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Every single retailer, online or storefront, I shop with plays pricing games.  It just boils down to me paying what I think the item is worth.  Certainly makes me a better shopper to comparison shop.

@MomCat- I certainly haven't had the experience with any other retailer that, once an item goes to clearance, the price goes up again - often by a substantial amount.

Yes, other retailers have sales, but that's always been the case, long before online shopping became a reality.  But nowhere else have I ever seen clearance or end-of-season items go up and down in price.  That's the "game" I'm talking about.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I see this with every retailer too.  Here's a sale, there's a sale, prices go up, prices are down again in two weeks, then up, then way down, then up.