Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lovely photo of Lisa w/ her sisters!

@Kelsey1995 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Wow,those are 3 verry smoooth faces.

That was my first thought too.  Her sisters are attractive, and all that "smoothing" is really unnecessary.  

Lisa uses a filter on her FB photos and is very open about it.

Yes, I know.  That's what we meant.  Clearly this is not just a simple photo.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@Kelsey1995 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

That was my first thought too.  Her sisters are attractive, and all that "smoothing" is really unnecessary.  

Yes!

I have to say pretty much every picture posted on social media is filtered in some way.  People are making sound like a crime to use them!!

Part of the issue I think with why so many photos that look really unnatural is the camera used is a cell phone.   That doesn't translate well when reproduced into larger sizes and then when you add the filters on top of that--they become a bit of mess.

That said and despite the obvious filters used in this photo, I do still really enjoy it.

As others have agreed, Lisa is quite close to her sisters and family and I too think they are lovely!  And I do think the obvious love they have for each other also comes through in the photo!!

HeartHeartHeart

That's not true.  A lot of people use filters, but not always, and many more people never use filters.. It's absolutely not true that "pretty much every picture posted on social media is filtered in some way."   I would bet a lot of money that most pictures on social media are not filtered at all.

In any case, it's certainly not a crime.  But it's annoying when someone is so focused on looks and her image that she clearly puts in a lot of time filtering photos to the point that the filtering is super-obvious and unnatural, and then sits back & basks in all the compliments about how pretty and young she looks. It's sad, IMO, that she filters everything and doesn't want people to see her as she really is.  It feeds into the mentality that women only have value if they look good.  

It's a nice photo.  Three attractive women who would have looked even more attractive, IMO, if she had stepped away from the filters and left them looking the way they look.  I'm very glad that when I look back on photos of my friends and family I will see what they really looked like, not some kind of idealized, pretend version.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@Kelsey1995 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Yes!

I have to say pretty much every picture posted on social media is filtered in some way.  People are making sound like a crime to use them!!

Part of the issue I think with why so many photos that look really unnatural is the camera used is a cell phone.   That doesn't translate well when reproduced into larger sizes and then when you add the filters on top of that--they become a bit of mess.

That said and despite the obvious filters used in this photo, I do still really enjoy it.

As others have agreed, Lisa is quite close to her sisters and family and I too think they are lovely!  And I do think the obvious love they have for each other also comes through in the photo!!

HeartHeartHeart

That's not true.  A lot of people use filters, but not always, and many more people never use filters.. It's absolutely not true that "pretty much every picture posted on social media is filtered in some way."   I would bet a lot of money that most pictures on social media are not filtered at all.

In any case, it's certainly not a crime.  But it's annoying when someone is so focused on looks and her image that she clearly puts in a lot of time filtering photos to the point that the filtering is super-obvious and unnatural, and then sits back & basks in all the compliments about how pretty and young she looks. It's sad, IMO, that she filters everything and doesn't want people to see her as she really is.  It feeds into the mentality that women only have value if they look good.  

It's a nice photo.  Three attractive women who would have looked even more attractive, IMO, if she had stepped away from the filters and left them looking the way they look.  I'm very glad that when I look back on photos of my friends and family I will see what they really looked like, not some kind of idealized, pretend version.

I have a cousin on Facebook who filters all of her photos, and then just sits back and relishes in all of the compliments about how great she looks and how young she looks....She is already a beautiful woman, so there really is no need to do that, but when your main focus is your looks all the time, you feel compelled to do it...For her its all about her looks, she has twin daughters and they do the exact same thing......It is ridiculous and rather sad really...... 

Honored Contributor

I don't think "everyone uses filters" at all.

Honored Contributor

It is beautiful and if I remember correctly they resembled their late Mom a great deal.  Sisters are truly a blessing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

Looks like Lisa has another "fan"!!!  Or Jonnysbro (think that's the name) has a brother!!!  Double the postings to brighten up our days.

@coffee drinker ... I was thinking the same thing 🙃

I know I am one of them.  So many hours I enjoyed watching her. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't think "everyone uses filters" at all.

@faeriemoon . So True. I never do, don't even know how to and wouldn't even think of doing it!

Honored Contributor

I have never altered any of my photos that I post on social media.  What you see with me is what you get in real life.  

One of my best friends got a new phone and every photo she takes is so filtered, it doesn't even look real.  This is how her phone is, she didn't add a filter or anything to it.  I'm not sure if there is a setting in there that needs to be changed or if it's a bad phone.  It's very unnatural looking.

Many people are very good at facetuning or filtering and you can't really tell.  Others are so bad at it that they make the photo look fake.  It's too perfect, features are way off and it doesn't look natural.  I remember back when LR was still on QVC she posted photos of herself from her bedroom.  She altered the photo so much she looked like she had a 20" waist and was 7' tall.  Not a good look.    

Honored Contributor

When Lisa filtered Nancy, it was beyond horrible.  Nancy didn't even look human. 

I don't mind filters within reason.  Some people go way overboard with the filters. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in the photography business for many years, both behind the camera and as an editor. I have viewed hundereds of thousands of images, if not over a million.

I can tell you that Lisa over applies facetuning and photoshop. If you are going to edit your photos, there is an art to it and you need to know when to call it quits.

Once you get a blurred, distorted or waxy look, you have over-worked your photo.