Regular Contributor

Re: Lovely photo of Lisa w/ her sisters!

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Wow,those are 3 verry smoooth faces.

That was my first thought too.  Her sisters are attractive, and all that "smoothing" is really unnecessary.  

Lisa uses a filter on her FB photos and is very open about it.

Trusted Contributor

@Kelsey1995 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Wow,those are 3 verry smoooth faces.

That was my first thought too.  Her sisters are attractive, and all that "smoothing" is really unnecessary.  

Lisa uses a filter on her FB photos and is very open about it.

Yes!

I have to say pretty much every picture posted on social media is filtered in some way.  People are making sound like a crime to use them!!

Part of the issue I think with why so many photos that look really unnatural is the camera used is a cell phone.   That doesn't translate well when reproduced into larger sizes and then when you add the filters on top of that--they become a bit of mess.

That said and despite the obvious filters used in this photo, I do still really enjoy it.

As others have agreed, Lisa is quite close to her sisters and family and I too think they are lovely!  And I do think the obvious love they have for each other also comes through in the photo!!

HeartHeartHeart

Trusted Contributor

It's not like using a filter is a crime!

Everyone does it!!

HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston   I remember you well, from when you used to post here.  And from when I once quoted both you and another poster. 

Respected Contributor

They are all so pretty.  My mother has three sisters, and they don't look alike, either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they're lovely exactly as they are, with no filters, and I hope they're as close and happy as they present in their digital images.    I wish that for everyone.   I don't say much about this, but I'm from the same locale as their hometown.   General comments on the sub-topic in this thread, the use of apps to alter and filter images...   It simply is not true that everyone does it, but at the same time of course everyone has the choice.   I think it's unfortunate that there's so much pressure for women to seem to be flawless in appearance, as if showing any perceived defects or signs of age must be avoided at all costs.   

An underlying sadness or poignancy I feel when I see such edited photos...  when we compliment someone's heavily-modified photo, we're not offering flattering remarks about the way they actually look.    We're not complimenting them -- we're praising a fantasy image, wishful thinking.

I can't think that any of us would feel that great -- deep down inside -- knowing that the compliments are flattery for what we wish we looked like.    It's not about whether we admit to using filters or not -- the more extreme it gets over time it's not that far afield from the practice of using other people's photos on websites, or a very, very old photo of ourself (such as with "catfishing") when we don't feel secure and comfortable with who we actually are today.   When we don't feel "good enough."   I know not everyone will agree, but I wanted to add my thoughts since this topic seems to arise so often.   Just my opinion, as they say your mileage may vary.😉

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I agree with you completely @dooBdoo .  That was a well thought out post.  I don't even know how to use filters and am not interested in learning.  I know my friends on Facebook don't use filters either.

I think Lisa and her sisters are pretty, but Lisa and the blonde sister would be prettier without the lip plumping fillers.  I don't think any of them need the false eyelashes.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

l@dooBdoo wrote:

I think they're lovely exactly as they are, with no filters, and I hope they're as close and happy as they present in their digital images.    I wish that for everyone.   I don't say much about this, but I'm from the same locale as their hometown.   General comments on the sub-topic in this thread, the use of apps to alter and filter images...   It simply is not true that everyone does it, but at the same time of course everyone has the choice.   I think it's unfortunate that there's so much pressure for women to seem to be flawless in appearance, as if showing any perceived defects or signs of age must be avoided at all costs.   

An underlying sadness or poignancy I feel when I see such edited photos...  when we compliment someone's heavily-modified photo, we're not offering flattering remarks about the way they actually look.    We're not complimenting them -- we're praising a fantasy image, wishful thinking.

I can't think that any of us would feel that great -- deep down inside -- knowing that the compliments are flattery for what we wish we looked like.    It's not about whether we admit to using filters or not -- the more extreme it gets over time it's not that far afield from the practice of using other people's photos on websites, or a very, very old photo of ourself (such as with "catfishing") when we don't feel secure and comfortable with who we actually are today.   When we don't feel "good enough."   I know not everyone will agree, but I wanted to add my thoughts since this topic seems to arise so often.   Just my opinion, as they say your mileage may vary.😉

@dooBdoo  I wholeheartedly agree. I think we as a society are becoming too narcissistic, and superficial. Are these things really important in the world we live in today or just to those obsessed with social media. I think they look like loving sisters, each beautiful in their own way. Just my opinion. We all have one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack🌻@Ketra🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I don’t see any similarity