Occasional Contributor

Re: Love new Host Mary Nelson !

She's great. Five stars! I watched her presenting jewelry and she was so professional. I like her sweet personality also. A genuine lady! 

Occasional Contributor

P.S. For those who find fault with accents, please remember that everyone has an accent. Yes, even you! Who's to say which is better? Celebrate your heritage, from whatever state!

Respected Contributor

She seems like a lovely person, but I agree about her voice being annoying & I can't listen to her for very long.  Is that what they call "vocal fry"?

Super Contributor

I like Mary Nelson but I have one little suggestion. I wish she could cut down on the use of what speech experts call "HRT or high rising terminal"  This is when your voice goes up like a question when you're actually making a statement.

I don't know if any one passes these ideas on to a host but this is just a suggestion  as to how Mary's presentation would be better for me.

@Fair Lady that's interesting, I had never heard it called HRT before. I've always heard it referred to as "upspeak" but I think I will start using HRT in the future.

I had to call in an employee a couple of months ago about that very issue. While she was very courteous, caring, and professional on the phone with our customers she still had the most escalated calls--more of her calls had to be transferred to management than the other 20+ reps. The reason given for management requests was that the customer did not have confidence in this employee's answers. Her statements all sounded like questions.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Super Contributor

Dear @catchersmom That's interesting that someone who speaks that way actually has reduced productivity. I hope she's able to receive your input and change.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @aubnwa01 Vocal fry is speaking in a low gravelly register or dipping into that register excessively. I find that annoying too but I don't think that Mary Nelson does that. She has a rather high, trilling vibrato at times. Gosh, I wish I didn't notice these things.

Occasional Contributor

I don't know what her speech pattern is called, but I also have a hard time listening to her shaky voice.  At first I thought she was just nervous, but she appears comfortable.  Also agree about the excessive uptones and inflections being annoying.

Regular Contributor

@SarahZ wrote:

She's great. Five stars! I watched her presenting jewelry and she was so professional. I like her sweet personality also. A genuine lady! 

I agree with your post @SarahZ! I've been enjoying her presentations.

😊

Valued Contributor

Shes just a doll, IMHO. If she stays the way she is, she will go far. She needs no improvment, she needsto stay the way she is and not pick up bad habits. (sound like her mum).

Honored Contributor

I like her so much too.

I like her voice and her natural sincere manner.

I find myself listening whenever I catch her on.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"