Honored Contributor

Re: “Looks like money...”

[ Edited ]

I haven't been watching recently, but heard this comment just about every time modal fabric was presented for quite some time. Guess what? If it cost a lot of money to make, it would be priced the same as silk and cashmere.

"You only get what you pay for."  Generally true.  Meaning, high quality isn't cheap...except at QVC, so hosts tell us. 

Another reason has to do with "status" and America's obsession with it.  QVC is pushing modal as a "status" fabric, which it is not. 

What does "money" look like?  "Old money", referring to wealth passed down through generations, prefers high quality traditional conservative classic style clothing in natural fabrics that they wear for years.  They play down their wealth.

"New money" those who acquired it in more recent years, tends to buy expensive trendy. They throw their wealth around.  "Status" seekers who don't have money follow "new money", buy trendy and QVC sells plenty of copies.  

Yes, how many times has Isaac said it, referring to Bergdorf's 5th floor and Neiman Marcus' 3rd floor.  I've been to both and saw only the finest high quality designers, most clothing in natural fabrics, made in Italy, and it's comical to think any clothing QVC sells compares to what is sold on those floors.  Isaac does know the difference.  

Esteemed Contributor

I took it that they are trying to justify the high prices . You can find alot of clothes at TJ Max  at much cheaper prices . All the $50 tops and $60-70   short pants are pricey .

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very little of the fashion that QVC sells looks like money, meaning looks expensive.  The only brands I would say that about are Tolani -- beautiful materials -- and Peace Love World -- great design features. 

QVC clothing is mostly practical for everyday wear.  I do shop here a lot.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Very little of the fashion that QVC sells looks like money, meaning looks expensive.  only brands I would say that about are Tolani -- beautiful materials -- and Peace Love World -- great design features. 

@NYCLatinaMe   All of Tolani's clothes are marked way down, some as much as 70%.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Very little of the fashion that QVC sells looks like money, meaning looks expensive.  only brands I would say that about are Tolani -- beautiful materials -- and Peace Love World -- great design features. 

@NYCLatinaMe   All of Tolani's clothes are marked way down, some as much as 70%.  

Thanks for letting me know!  I have already shopped.  Love all my pieces!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, that's a good idea, let's buy things in order to pretend to be different from how we are. 

Not sure if that is more "aspirational" or "pretentious?"

Unless it just means, for what it costs, it is unusually well-made.

I wish them well!

Trusted Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

I took it that they are trying to justify the high prices . You can find alot of clothes at TJ Max  at much cheaper prices . All the $50 tops and $60-70   short pants are pricey .

@skatting44 - It means that it looks expensive.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@skatting44 - It means that it looks expensive.

Yes, I know in what context the term " Looks like money " is often used . It can also mean that an item  that looks like something people from a particular social economic class  would wear/ own.  Looking expensive when made  as  " a knock off " of a particular  expensive brand does not justify high prices .

Honored Contributor

It's just another one of their silly INEFFECTIVE "sales gimmicks"....😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

Thank you everyone. I have not posted in a while- this was much appreciated. Love reading your comments. Especially like the dress made from the dollar bill... that is money!!!