Super Contributor

Looking for nice towns near South Orange, but not in Essex County

Hi.  

My husband and I are relocating to New Jersey in order to be closer to our family. They live in South Orange.  From what we can see, Essex County is very expensive when it comes to purchasing a home. So, we are staying away from West Orange, Livingston and Maplewood.

We are looking for a nice community where we can buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. We are looking for a ranch style or home that has at least 1 of the bedrooms on the main floor. I'm tired of stairs!

I have been searching on Realtor, Zillow and Trulia.  Someone suggested Union County or Morris.  We would like to live less than 30 minutes from South Orange.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  We've just found a realtor for our home, but don't plan on listing until spring.  This will be my last year of teaching. Our realtor is helping us find a good realtor in NJ.

Ruby

Super Contributor

Re: Looking for nice towns near South Orange, but not in Essex County

I was going to suggest Montclair, Cedar Grove, Livingston, Millburn or Verona but they are in Essex.  So all I can think of is Westfield in Union County.  I am in Bergen County and our property taxes are outrageous.  Good luck to you.  You can also try

New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

www.njmls.com/

Trusted Contributor

Hi Ruby, There are many nice areas in NJ.  I hope your realtor finds something nice for you.

Maybe Scotch Plains, right next to Westfield.   Metuchen is a nice town, but it might be too far south for you.  It is in Middlesex County.

I went to Seton Hall in South Orange, so I am familiar with that area.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Super Contributor

I've been a Jersey girl my whole life....I would check out Linden, Roselle, And Cranford.  Wishing you good luck!

Honored Contributor

Hi Ruby, I think if you post this in Community Chat you may get more replies. I can't help as I am not very familiar with that area of NJ. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

OP: Do you have children in school? That would make a huge difference in where I would recommend you to consider...

Esteemed Contributor

I'm from NJ and I can tell you Essex & Passaic have high taxes - most of NJ is expensive - if you have school age children check the ratings of the schools. Depending on where you are coming from you might be in sticker shock!

Regular Contributor

I live in Pompton plains, Morris county, about 20-30 minutes from so orange. Nice small town feel but a half hour from Lincoln tunnel.

i think all of north jersey is expensive! Our property taxes are $9400 and I live in a 3 bedroom ranch on a cul de sac.

Esteemed Contributor

Millburn, Short Hills, New Providence, Summit, Chatham  ....parts of Newark are very nice 

Frequent Contributor

Look in Parsippany or Denville. These are two towns in Morris County where you will be less than 30 minutes away from South Orange but taxes will be lower and schools are good.  You should be able to find a home you want in those towns.