Honored Contributor

I agree with all aforementioned criticisms.  And not just on QVC, it’s everywhere now.  I find so much of it annoying and irritating, as well as difficult to follow.  The whole country is enthralled with the eternal youth syndrome.  But I don’t quite understand how it is, in this age of “equality” and women wanting to be taken seriously, that so many have affected these traits.  It’s hard to take a news person seriously with some of these qualities.  Sometimes their speech patterns are so far from what I consider normal that I can’t understand the point they’re trying to make.

Perhaps the people doing the hiring are that young themselves and don’t find anything amisss.  Sometimes I think it’s cue cards that can cause problems.  Perhaps like everything else, they’re trying to appeal to the younger demographic.  Or maybe, more than likely, I’m just being a crabby old lady.😟

Valued Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I agree with all aforementioned criticisms.  And not just on QVC, it’s everywhere now.  I find so much of it annoying and irritating, as well as difficult to follow.  The whole country is enthralled with the eternal youth syndrome.  But I don’t quite understand how it is, in this age of “equality” and women wanting to be taken seriously, that so many have affected these traits.  It’s hard to take a news person seriously with some of these qualities.  Sometimes their speech patterns are so far from what I consider normal that I can’t understand the point they’re trying to make.

Perhaps the people doing the hiring are that young themselves and don’t find anything amisss.  Sometimes I think it’s cue cards that can cause problems.  Perhaps like everything else, they’re trying to appeal to the younger demographic.  Or maybe, more than likely, I’m just being a crabby old lady.😟

@geezerette, you're not being a crabby old lady, trust me.  If Q wants a younger audience than us, they need to up their game - especially in the world of fashion (at almost 65 I won't wear what they sell).  I can't imagine any 20 or 30 somethings being at all interested in Graver, D&C, Quacker Factory, etc.  From my perspective The Powers That Be have just gotten complacent and lazy and aren't at all interested in getting out there and finding anything new, fresh or exciting.  And it almost appears if you walk through the door and say, "I'd like to be a host although I have zero experience and my grasp of the English language is marginal at best," they say, "oh okay, you're cute, you'll do - you're hired!"

Honored Contributor

Re: Little girl voices

[ Edited ]

Perhaps it's too late to cultivate the younger set for shopping channels?  When it first arrived most of us were young adults raising our families with no Internet shopping.  To have the TV on all day parading goods in front of us in a warm, inviting way was intoxicating....  and only a fast phone call away.

It's different now.  I don't think the younger set cares because there is just SO MUCH for them to pick from.  The entire Internet is at their disposal.  Have the TV on al day?  I really doubt it.

I believe the infantile behavior and skreeching is actually being encouraged in order to hook the younger crowd in.... and I don't believe it's working.  Also, tptb are reluctant to stop the merchandise that us older folk want to buy because (as they said in "Fried Green Tomatos" after being told that they got the parking space because they were younger and faster.... 'Yeah but we're older and have more insurance").  We may be older but we also have more money we can spend.....

QVC has it's work cut out for them not to alienate the older affluent crowd and still try to appeal to the younger buyers even though they have no real interest in shopping channels.  I really believe (and hate to say it) that shopping channels are slowly croaking to an end.  Woman Sad  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I've pretty much give up on trying to watch QVC for a variety of reasons, host behaviors and terrible host broadcast voices being among them. Elective shopping should be time reasonably pleasantly spent. Who wants to watch and find it an overall annoying experience...

You keep posting this repeatedly....maybe it's time for you to move on, or maybe you just enjoy complaining about Q Woman Wink Woman LOL

What, and miss all the snark and rapid mood shifts coming out of the windy city...

Woman Surprised Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Duck wrote:

I totally agree with the irritation of little girl voices.  Instant turn off.

Haribo has such annoying commercials that I will never buy their product even if I am starving.

RIght there with you @Lucky Duck... That ad was merely annoying the first time but given that it seems to run all the time, by now, I want to throw something at the TV every time it's on... Good thing I don't like that kind of candy anyway, because, like you, I'd starve first...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

As soon as the Haribo commercial comes on I hit mute as fast as I can.  That is the most annoying  commercial I have seen in a long time.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

OMG the one that does the question mark in the middle of the sentence (thus interrupting the flow of the sentence) and then again at the end of it, so so so annoying. Too bad because otherwise she's so sweet and pretty and respectful with the vendors. Don't think she's going to ever make it to prime time hours unless that habit can be broken.

As a rule, I try not to host bash, but I've got to admit that this particular trait drives me totally NUTZ!

Not for nothing, but the first time I heard my recorded voice was a real shocker.  I have a rather deep voice.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

I try not to be critical of some of the hosts.  None of us are perfect and everyone has his/her own unique personalitiy.  The thing that drives me nuts, though,  is the lack of proper grammar!  "These are going quick" and "I'm trying to speak slow" and using "like" in the middle of sentences makes me appreciate the more mature hosts' professionalism and language skills.  I agree that Lisa Mason and Lisa Robertson  were excellent presenters.   My grammar is not always perfect but the hosts are supposed to be professionals.   It would be nice if their superiors would correct the hosts when they consistently use improper grammar.  I 

Valued Contributor

The superiors, most likely, do not correct improper grammar because they are not aware that it is improper grammar.  Just sayin'.     docsgirl

Honored Contributor

What I hate way worse is that singing thing that women do now!  A high-pitched "AAHHHHH" and it is obnoxious; plus the fact that most can't sing!