Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Not only the voices get to me but so does the super fast talking.  Some of the hosts are so frenetic they make me a nervous wreck and the channel immediately changes.  I can't tell you the last time I watched the Q for more than 10 minutes.

I remember back in the day when Kathy Levine would say, "well, I know I'll be getting an email from management tomorrow."  And it was always over something very innocuous.  I guess management has changed drastically and they don't find anything wrong with some of the antics that go on today.

Levine, Judy Crowell, Lisa Mason, et al. were so professional and made their jobs look easy.  They were prepared, knew their products, shared colors, sizing and amazingly enough had rulers when showing jewelry!  I especially loved Kathy as she would say things like, "ladies, if you carry extra weight in your hips or bottom, this skirt will definitely not work for you."  And Lisa Mason would say, "even if nothing is in your budget, please just stay and keep me company."

Yep, the Q may want to look at videos from the good old days and review how things stack up then versus now. 

Levine and Crowell were on before I began watching QVC, but I'd have to say that Lisa Mason and Lisa Robertson both had the best easy-on-the-ears voices.  IMO, there's no one on QVC today that has their presentation qualities and sales expertise.  I miss them both! 

Honored Contributor

Long gone are professional speakers or those who can teach professional speaking.   It actually IS an art and its lack out there in the professional world is obvious.  Lack of pronunciation, regional pronunciations, too fast, awkward groupings, little girl voices run rampant and viewers tune out (or adopt bad habits by listening to it all the time).  Employees seem to be hired by their speaking habits.... hey, they're speaking, they're hired! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Long gone are professional speakers or those who can teach professional speaking.   It actually IS an art and its lack out there in the professional world is obvious.  Lack of pronunciation, regional pronunciations, too fast, awkward groupings, little girl voices run rampant and viewers tune out (or adopt bad habits by listening to it all the time).  Employees seem to be hired by their speaking habits.... hey, they're speaking, they're hired! 

@Q4u  Boy you hit it on the head.   I stopped watching at night for the most part unless they are selling something I am interested in.   Seems same host is on way toooooooo much.   I am not talking about Shawn either. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Little girl voices

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Kathy Levine was interviewed and asked what makes a good TV Channel Shopping host....Thought you and others would get a kick out of this and compare the good and bad of the current hosts with what Kathy said: 

1. What 5 qualities are important if you want to be a shopping host?
      • Be curious about lots of things.
      • Know the products you are selling.
      • Be a creative storyteller.
      • Have an excellent command of the English language.
      • Be a fun person!

1. What are 5 host don’ts while selling on TV?
      • DON’T say the “A” words: AMAZING and AWESOME. Childbirth is amazing. Getting an astronaut on Mars will be awesome. A garden hose that stretches 15 feet is useful. Drop the “A” words and get a new vocabulary.  
        • While we’re on the subject… DON’T punctuate every other word in a sentence with “like.” It will get you tossed out the door faster than you can say AWESOME!
        • DON’T focus on stories about YOU—ALL THE TIME. I call it the “Opera Sell”: me me me me me.
        • DON’T own every single product you sell. Or if you do, don’t say so.

1. Your advice on landing the job during an audition?

Like being on American Idol, the whole world wants to work on TV. People who come in saying “My friends tell me I’m a riot and can sell ice to Eskimos,” are usually totally wrong. Teachers and salespeople are often good choices because they’re accustomed to communicating important facts in an interesting way.

Here are some pointers:

• Polish your English.
        • Know some new trends in your area of expertise (fashion, jewelry, home, computers, etc).
        • Keep your hair soft, freshly colored, not too long and your makeup soft, but camera-appropriate.
        • Keep your nails neat. (You men too!)
        • Wear current, hip clothes. Stay away from leather and boots. Being approachable is key. You are not at a bar with your friends looking for a hookup.
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

High squeaky voices, or those with nasal sounding voices, or those that talk way too fast like auctioneers are the hosts that are channel changers for me..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Hey, @Spurt, thanks for sharing Kathy's words of wisdom.  That tricky woman sold me more jewelry than you can shake a stick at!  She really epitomized everything that use to be right at the Q.  With the current crop, I, like many others, have stuffed a lot more money into my bank account rather than the Q's coffers.  It seems absolutely no one is paying attention to the on air antics.  We have one host that galavants around the set so much that it's like playing "Where's Waldo?!"

Honored Contributor

Re: Little girl voices

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Hey, @Spurt, thanks for sharing Kathy's words of wisdom.  That tricky woman sold me more jewelry than you can shake a stick at!  She really epitomized everything that use to be right at the Q.  With the current crop, I, like many others, have stuffed a lot more money into my bank account rather than the Q's coffers.  It seems absolutely no one is paying attention to the on air antics.  We have one host that galavants around the set so much that it's like playing "Where's Waldo?!"

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

I came late to the "party" and just saw one show with Kathy, she left and then came back with her own jewelry line and then never saw her again....Caught her on Lisa Robertson's FB Page they were talking about the good ole days of QVC...both said it was time to leave .......

And I remember QVC did a behind the scenes interview with one of the hosts (don't remember who it was, it was awhile baqck)....it appears it was completely different then now ---because the host mentioned they were critiqued after the show on their performance.....And your right, it appears that no one is watching them now with all the antics that are going on....which is causing a lot of customers to watch and buy less...SMH!!

Super Contributor

I totally agree with the irritation of little girl voices.  Instant turn off.

Haribo has such annoying commercials that I will never buy their product even if I am starving.

Valued Contributor

I can't take the one who is on quite a bit lately who must have taken speaking lessons a llittle too seriously. Her mouth when speaking wants to enuciate every word and drives me crazy. I quit watching when she is on hosting. I rarely watch anymore anyway but some of my favorites where kitchen shows. NOT any more. I know she is a lot of peoples favorite lately but not mine. Just can't take that mouth.

Valued Contributor

oops were is the proper word. Dont want to get the spelling hammer on my head.