Valued Contributor

Re: Let’s talk hosts...what is happening??

@blackhole99 wrote:

I was never a CP fan, but didn't think she warranted firing. All the new hosts IMO are very good and should be given a fair chance. IMO the old hosts have milked the Q for way too long and it's time for the younger ones to build their careers. If MBR is training these new people why isn't she gone instead of CP or along with her.

Milked the Q? I'm certain they still draw many viewers/sales and that's why QVC has them out there if for no other reason. I would like to think, though, that their experience counts for something, too, and they know how to present products in a professional and successful way.  It's a business, so QVC isn't going to waste it's time and money on hosts who don't pull in the big bucks. 

Respected Contributor

@keithsmom65: Nancy Hornbeck is on QVC2 regularly. However, I did see her on the main channel last week, hosting a jewelry show. 

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

I miss Katie M.  She is never on anymore.

@Pecky, she's on Q2 more but I do wonder what will happen when Jill leaves since Katie was her social host on Monday and Friday nights.

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyEager wrote:
I'm in the camp that doesn't think Jill was pushed out, but I do think she saw everything going on backstage and the turmoil of change and she decided the place was no longer for her.

Why not leave, take a break, plan out your next move? Very admirable, strategic, wise and healthy for the heart and soul.

Best wishes Jill for where ever your future takes you!

@JohnnyEager, this is exactly what I think happened.

However, I kind of am starting to think that as a seasoned host, once you are relegated to doing mostly Q2 shows, the writing is on the wall. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree, LipstickDiva.  At first, people thought the senior hosts were on Q2 to bring in customers who would not ordinarily watch the new channel.  But I do think it was a slap in the face to Jill. JMO but for 25 years she worked hard and TPTB rewarded her with a step down, and David got a primetime show on Fridays.  I like appointment television, but not at 10 p.m.  Jill could have been on at 7 or 8 on the main channel.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TaniaKnowsBest  wrote:
They all take “bullying” and a lot of criticism for sure. This is my first post so I’m not sure of what was going on before. I’m just speaking on the reason why they let them go. Bottom line it comes down to sales. But how can you expect the new hosts to sell if they are on 2-5 all the time ? Of course they won’t be selling as much as those that get to host during normal business hours. So my point is allow them to pair with older hosts more often while they are getting their feet wet so to speak during prime time shows. They will gain more experience and will sell !

@TaniaKnowsBest  

Welcome to the Forum!

It's not bullying.  Let me explain the Forums are not for hosts, neither is it designed as a host fan club (go to host's Facebook Pages to heap praise and compliments and interact personally). Tĥe Forums are for customers to give opinions and feedback on various topics, QTALK is for comments, feedback, and opinions about QVC.  The Moderators will remove comments that aren't within Community Guidelines and are considered unkind to hosts, vendors, or models--it's their call and their job.  However QVC is a retail business and does want to know what customers think just like retailers do surveys and urge customers to give reviews.

QVC has their plan the host go through---- a trial period-- late nights, early mornings, prime time thy do cohost with an experienced host, then they put them on prime time solo, they are given a certain amount of time before they either sign a contact which is subject to renewal (and their photo is posted on MEET THE HOSTS) or they are released.......... And you are right from what I read sales impact raises, bonuses, and contract renewals......

You can always skip the host comment threads if they upset you.   

And I wouldnt recommend copying and reposting another poster's comment, that can get you in trouble......

Moderators usually delete speculation on hosts, vendors, or models .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@loveour4leggedfriends wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@cbrite wrote:

I may be wrong....but I don't think I am...

Didn't many viewers on these forums, give Cathy a hard time because of her Jersey accent?....... She was highly educated and great cook, if I am correct w/ my memory. But she took a lot of bullying on here.... as did another dark haired host before her... and she was very funny....she took a lot of bullying too....

Now it seems many are standing up for her. 

I don't know why they are gone... I see hurt feelings.... and it's just life.... I guess these posts will keep on until it's out of ppl's systems... 

@cbrite. I believe Cathy grew up in Miami Fla. Don’t believe she would get a NJ accent there.

I think if anyone has a NJ/Staten Island/New York accent it is Antonella.  I am from NY and did not detect a NY accent with Cathy at all.  The one who really drives me nuts is the one who hosts the cooking show with David -  she sounds like she is talking through her nose and I cannot watch her at all.  I just check the website to see what is on. 

@loveour4leggedfriends 

You're so right, What is up with QVC and some of the hosts' and some of the vendors'  voices????(especially vendors in the kitchen shows)....They either have high pitched squeaky voices or talk like they are holding their nose, or talk so fast they sound like an auctioneer...very unpleasant to listen to....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew 1 wrote:

Speaking of social media....that can bite a host in the tush. One host was so casually and so inappropriately dressed for a child’s school event. With all the clothes QVC sells it did not go over well , then add in she was decked out in pricey brands that the Q doesn’t sell. She took some heat because it showed she is not interested in fashion as she claims and certainly not QVC brands.

@Nancy Drew 1 

Not only in the host's personal lives, but even when they are hosting QVC Shows they will wear a non-QVC brand....and someone will ask when a show is on Facebook Live....".What is the item number of the blouse the host is wearing, I really like it?".....And the Social Media host has to say "Sorry that's a non QVC item from the host's personal closet"...How embarrassing and it truely shows what they think of QVC brands!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

I don't know why it's anyone's business that a host was fired, retired, left for another job, etc.   I don't care if they are considered a celebrity or public figure.  It's between them and their employer.  They are salepeople, nothing more.  I wish everyone well but, really, it's just none of my business.

@CalmInTheHeart 

ITA, I think it's laughable that people think they are "entitled" or "have a right to know" what happened just because they watched a host for many years or chatted with a host on their Facebook Page??????? animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif  

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyEager wrote:

The notion that the hosts are "merely sales people", (a kind of arrogant, condescending and insulting comment often spouted here), is antiquated and from the 1980s-1990s.

Over and over and over again QVC management pushes their hosts as personalities, someone to follow on social media.  Of course, anyone who wants to is entitled to view them as "mere salespeople", but the QVC they most definitely are not.

@JohnnyEager 

I totally understand what you're saying, but you have to remember that there's actual "reality" vs "QVC reality", kinda like QVC'S version of The Twilight Zone......

Image result for twilight zone

Like they consider the young women in their promos as their audience, when it's actually women that are 45 and above...And QVC took these "sales people" and turned them into  "psuedo celebrities"!   And like any celebrities --- people follow them, and some hosts reveal a little bit too much to their "fans" who become attached....which causes curiosity and speculation when changes in their lives take place... So QVC opened up this can of worms and curiosity about the hosts.....but we will never know the real reason any left....