Respected Contributor

Layoffs have put a damper on shopping

Has anyone else taken the layoffs ( 4 confirmed hosts and a rumor of 450 employees behind the scenes) to heart ?  I dont have my usual zest to shop. I normally get excited about the Christmas Shows but cant gather the energy to watch.  I fear for the families now put into turmoil not knowing where the next check will come in.  I feel the hosts tonight are faking enthusiasm.  They must be saddened to see colleagues shown the door.

Honored Contributor

Re: Layoffs have put a damper on shopping

@Reever - I agree with you. I'm sad, and my heart is not in what's being shown on QVC. Maybe some will think it's silly, but "the air has gone out of my tires." Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Reever - I agree with you. I'm sad, and my heart is not in what's being shown on QVC. Maybe some will think it's silly, but "the air has gone out of my tires." Smiley Sad

@beach-mom   Im in the same boat.  Just keeping thinking about hosts like Antonella sitting at home crying and sad while "the show goes on". I cant shop under durress. I feel like a  dark cloud is hovering over QVC right now. Sad.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only check in to this forum occasionally and today just happen to be a day where they announced layoffs and many viewers are very invested in the hosts. I guess that's because QVC wants their hosts to relate to the viewers as if they are family. I'm much more sad about the local community based businesses that are struggling and shutting down. When people say that QVC hosts are not going to know when the next paycheck will come in I'm not worried. I'm sure that based on performance reviews etc and the situation in the last 5 months they had some inclination QVC might make changes.  I know many people who are without a job and they are in a very different position. I'm sorry a few hosts lost their jobs but QVC is a business and I don't take any business decision like downsizing to heart. 

Esteemed Contributor

New unemployment claims announced today are an additional 1.5M people filing. An astounding 50M have been filed since this started.  While some have gone back to work, there are 20M continuing claims.

I will start holiday giving this month. My local food pantry with canned goods and pet food for my local no kill shelter will be gifted early from now thru the holidays. This to me is the true meaning of CIJ.

Time to get real. I'm afraid we're just getting started.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind to our host.

Valued Contributor

There are millions of people out of work due to CV/slowdown. And most weren’t making salaries anywhere close to these Q hosts.
Trusted Contributor

If people are having trouble coping with the layoffs and it is  effecting your shopping how do you think the remaining hosts and employees feel? The host remaining have to continue their job as if nothing happened. They have to put on their "acting" personality and smile like nothing happened wondering if they might be next. 

Especially the highest paid hosts. If financial difficulties continue it will not matter how much you sell or how popular you might be. Budget cuts mean someone has to go. Do you layoff another four to make up the income of one?

Valued Contributor

@stevieb I'm sure you're right that QVC has been tanking for a long time. And now that I think about it some things are starting to make more sense. The reason for the manic over-the-top selling style and hysterical giggling is now pretty clear.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is challenging moderation